Sunday 22 March 2020

Mama's got the stuff!



It's a very odd Mothers' Day (Mothering Sunday) here in the UK, what with the current "Self-Isolation Society", and all. My sister and I (and Crog and Madame Acarti) were all supposed to be travelling down to visit her yesterday, but that was off for obvious reasons. However we're keeping in touch as best we can - we're even trying to get her on video-conferencing, which might help; I sent her a nice bouquet which she really loved, and it is gloriously sunny so she can - as have we all day - keep occupied pottering in the garden...

...it also happens to be the 90th birthday today of the most prominent and influential man in musical theatre (and Patron Saint here at Dolores Delargo Towers), Mr Stephen Joshua Sondheim, so let's combine the two things in an appropriate manner, methinks:


To all mothers out there, we salute you!

Sondheim website

15 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful stems dear. I'm sure they were a comfort to her. My poor mother was texting me yesterday. Having never texted till now, I'm not sure the messages were encrypted with weird code from her, me thinks, because of lack of skill or having a tipple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh - the era of "drunk-texting" has started all over again! It's just like the early 2000s... Jx

      Delete
  2. That is indeed a beautiful bunch!
    The Mother didn't want flowers as "they just die", so she got a card with a bunny rabbit on it instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear - yes, my mother does prefer living plants and enjoys her garden and so forth, but always appreciates flowers for the house. Jx

      Delete
  3. Lovely flowers, Jon! But, even better was the Divine Miss M singing!! Thank you, sugarpie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Marsh Mama - it's your turn, too! Jx

      Delete
  4. Hope you can video connect with your mother. That will make such a difference. Thanks for the song. What a number! And Bette did it justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a little bit of a lifeline, if somewhat strange for all concerned. Difficult times.

      I never saw the Bette version of Gypsy. As a made-for-TV production, I'm not even sure it was shown here. However, her version of this song is, in our opinion, "up there" with some of the greats...

      Jx

      Delete
  5. God! She can knock 'em out!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lilies. All the best to your mum, and I hope the video conferencing goes well.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only try our best to connect with her. She'd appreciate it. Jx

      Delete
  7. Lovely flowers
    Such a shame we were unable to see the lady on her special day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mum that is, not Ethel !

      Delete
    2. Indeed it was.

      And yes, it is a shame we have never got to see Miss Midler on stage - but we did have Imelda! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]