Thursday 26 March 2020

Deferred gratification


These are stressful times and you’ve probably stocked up on booze. But how do you hold out until noon, when it is fine to start getting leathered? Read our guide.

Pace vigorously up and down muttering ‘Mustn’t, mustn’t mustn’t’
This is great exercise and the sounds of you ‘keeping fit’ will convince your neighbours that you are in good, strong mental health.

Consider extra masturbation
You may already be self-abusing to a degree you never thought possible. Summon all your willpower and see if you can crank out another to make it till 12 o’clock. It’s probably your patriotic duty, or something.

Promise yourself an extra drink after midnight if you refrain until midday
This is what psychologists call ‘deferred gratification’. Stiffen your sinews now and you’ll be rewarded in the small hours with a well-deserved very large whisky.

Put a severe-looking picture of your mother on your fridge
She may be self-isolating and unable to track your every movement, but see how she seems to glower at you as you open that fridge door for a can of lager instead of lettuce.

Drink till five in the morning so you don’t wake up until one in the afternoon
This may seem like a heroic effort but if carried out properly you might get the bonus of not wanting a drink before 12pm the day after the day after.
The Daily Mash

Of course.

10 comments:

  1. Imagine how hard all this is while homeschooling your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially item #2 on the list. Jx

      Delete
    2. I don't know how teachers do it, frankly

      Delete
    3. Sneaking off to the loos with a hanky at break-times, I'd imagine. Jz

      Delete
  2. thank the dogs and cats I don't have rugrats! been keeping myself busy and have not resorted to drinking copious amounts of gin...yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vodka's an ingredient in hand sanitiser however, I believe. Jx

      Delete
  3. Consider extra masturbation?!?!?!

    Any more, and I may as well make it my full time job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least now we know who's been hoarding all that loo roll... Jx

      Delete
  4. Ack. I did take to the bottle last week; this week I've broken out in spots - that'll keep me from drinking too much - back to the water for me!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whisky's probably what's keeping you healthy, Miss Scarlet! No virus could withstand it. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]