Saturday, 19 September 2026

De nouveaux morceaux

It's a gloomy, grey, blustery day here in London, so what better to take our minds off it than a selection of some of the "newer" music that has caught my ear of late?

Let's open with a corker! Courtesy of Mr DeVice, who flagged it up in his own blog just recently, the latest from our current "fave eccentrics" is faboo, of course:

Striking a more mellow tone, the latest release from Soft Cell's final album Danceteria is a melancholic trip down memory lane for Marc Almond, and is rather lovely:

Now for something completely different! A new discovery, courtesy of BBC Radio 3's esoteric Late Junction programme - here's a jolly number from one of Mali's finest artistes:

Another excellent mash-up from the genius Mr Bill McClintock:

From the familiar to something totally bizarre... I love this!

And, saving the best to last [despite the lack of a video] - the 'Boys rip the piss out of a dictator. Brilliantly:


Who washes Putin’s underpants?
Who has to keep them clean
deep in the bowels of his residence
in a top secret washing machine?

Who keeps his secrets secret?
Is nothing or everything true?
Is he fatally ill or strong as a horse
impossible to know or get close to?

When he poisons an opponent’s underpants
does he laugh at his brilliant scheme
knowing he’s got to the root of the problem
deadly but somehow obscene?

Is it difficult to sleep at night?
Does he always sleep alone
with nightmares of a prison cell
summoned to be be judged and to atone?

No, he’ll get away with anything
like Stalin and Peter the Great
He’s the only one that ever matters
He knows what he must dictate

Meanwhile his underpants are washed
by a loyal woman or man
and his secrets will be secret until
that one unfortunate day his shit hits the fan

As ever, I love to hear your thoughts, dear reader...

10 comments:

  1. Haute and Freddy - Sounds upbeat and 80s - what's not to love!
    Soft Cell - I'm waiting for it to get going??? Though I wish it was 1982!
    Fatoumata Diawara - It's okay in the background :-)
    The Police and Donna Summer - I love a mash-up!
    Jamie She - I agree - bizarre!!
    Pet Shop Boys - All the questions we need answers to!!!

    Off topic - I messed around with my sideboard yesterday but it made no difference - which sounds like the title of a novel!
    Sx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found some things to like in the list, Ms Scarlet!

      Not sure what's going on in your sideboard, but it is rather off that one thing's fixed and the other is not... Jx

      Delete
    2. I've tried adding a new sideboard - I tried with it linked to my reading list and it showed nothing other than the title of your blog, I fiddled some more and all it can be forced to show is the Choices post. Unbelievable. It says that it recognises that there is a feed for your blog but can't seem to update further than the Choices post.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. I'm sure you'll sort it out eventually, Ms Scarlet... Jx

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of Haute and Freddy.
    I also very much like the sound of Fatoumata Diawara, but I don’t connect at all with message of the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not speaking French nor the Malian language, I have no idea what she's going on about either, but the song's cheerful... Jx

      Delete
  3. Haute and Freddy - My favourite of this selection!
    Soft Cell - I rather like the tune.
    Fatoumata Diawara - As Ms Scarlet says, it's a bit of a background track.
    The Police and Donna Summer - Brilliant, but goes on too long. There's only so much of Sting's whiny vocals I can stand.
    Jamie She - I love it!
    Pet Shop Boys - Clever and cutting, but I think it would be better set to a more upbeat tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr Device - again, at least there were some you liked! Jx

      Delete
  4. A fab and Diverse collection
    I do agree with Mitchell about Fatoumata Diawara but I did have to go back and listen to it with subtitles before I knew that I found the lyrics objectionable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some songs are best left untranslated. I just looked at her lyrics in English, and they're not so much objectionable as just a bit crap. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]