Saturday, 5 September 2026

Fa-fa-fashion

The Madam and I are off to see the much-vaunted Schiaparelli: Fashion Becomes Art exhibition at the V&A this afternoon!

I fully expect to return wearing a lobster, a hat in the shape of a shoe, or "a thing that isn't a thing"...


STOP PRESS:

Before I left this morning, I was trying to find a particular verse from which that final line came, to no avail - not only is that new "A.I. Google" really annoying, it's also a crock of shit that doesn't actually find anything you're looking for.

I located it in a book (remember them?!) called Camp: The Lie That Tells The Truth:

On the pale yellow sands
There's a pair of clasped hands
And and eye-ball entangled in string,
And a piece of raw meat
And a bicycle seat
And a thing that isn't a thing.

- William Plomer - "A recipe for a Surrealist picture"

16 comments:

  1. You will look fabulous wearing a lobster, or a pair of cockles - have a lovely time!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was faboo! No lobsters were available at the shop, however. Jx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's the perfect poem to accompany Schiaparelli's most famous work - in collaboration with Dali and Cocteau [much of which we saw up close today!].

      I knew nothing whatsoever about the poet either, until today - Mr Plomer sounds like an interesting man, who moved in exalted literary circles. It's a bit of a mystery why he's so forgotten, to be honest. I'm going to put at least one of his books on my Amazon wish-list. Jx

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you must have read his "Playboy of the Demi-monde" when I reprinted it? Perhaps it was before we became Blogger friends. Look for "Aloft in Heavenly Mansions, W.1...."

      Delete
    3. Hmmm - I can't find it on either your "Bears in Shorts" (Blogger) blog, nor on your old "More Idle Thoughts" (Wordpress) one...

      I just found it quotes here, however, and it is very familiar! Jx

      Delete
  3. Finally got past that bloody AI twit and found this


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjAyG3PqylA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Silly me - I entered into my own "Museum of Camp" blog back in 2021! [With a credit to your good self...]

      "I've a grand memory for forgetting." - Robert Louis Stevenson

      Jx

      Delete
  4. I love the fabulous Insanity of Schaperlli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would adore this exhibition! Let's hope - like so many other V&A extravaganzas - it gets an outing Stateside, somewhere in visiting distance from San Francisco. Jx

      Delete
  5. Wish I lived in a place where I could access such great exhibits. Excellent poem.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame. I know very little about Florida, but from what I do hear, its political administration doesn't appear to have "culture" as one of its highest priorities. Jx

      Delete
  6. Can’t wait to hear about the show. I hope you both wore your favorite Schiaparelli to the show and came home with something new. Great sleuthing. Imagine finding it in a book. Unheard of. Perfect poem for Schiaparelli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mitchell - if I could afford to wear Schiaparelli, I wouldn't be living in Wood Green and working for the council. We do have a wardrobe full of dressing-up clothes, but we decided that casual was probably best, since we were there as visitors rather than exhibits. Unfortunately. 😍

      It's a great little poem that I knew would fit the bill nicely - and I also knew that I would need to locate somewhere than even A.I. cannot find (and plagiarise). Bring back the book as the primary source of learning! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]