Monday, 14 September 2026

Let Go

Having heard the very sad news that Mr Bob Mackie has sewn on his last sequin and departed for Fabulon - see my tribute over at the Dolores Delargo Museum of Camp - I just knew I would have to post at least one of the gazillion outrageously OTT outfits for which he was famous in action this Tacky Music Monday...

...so how about one of my absolute favourites?

Miss Mitzi Gaynor - whose 95th birthday it would have been on 4th September - never had a better frock to shimmy in!

RIP, Mr Mackie.

Have a good week, dear reader.

10 comments:

  1. If only I had somewhere to go to wear some sparkles! Have a good week, Jon.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can shimmy anywhere, Ms Scarlet! Even in a Devon lane. Jx

      Delete
  2. You know every one of those safety gays tried on the Mackie when Miss Mitzi Gaynor wasn't looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a genius. Did you ever see the hilarious costumes he created for the Carol Burnett Show? I couldn’t make it through this entire music video. I had to hold back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I - in common with 99% of Brits - have never seen the Carol Burnett Show, as it was never shown here.

      That Mitzi video is irresistible! Jx

      Delete
    2. Here’s an example of his comedic genius. A take-off on the dress made from draperies in Gone with the Wind. https://youtube.com/shorts/gUuRwtjw1I0?si=ua0WstgubzF-RzKj

      Delete
  4. Fabulon is ringing all it's bells and rolling out all the red carpets for Bob! The things he did for television in the 1970s! I am surprised as hell this show didn't get raided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of that dress (complete with feather headdress and see-through panels) she wore at the Oscars in 1986 - pissed-off as she was at not being recognised for her performance in Mask the previous year - Cher said: “OK, you can go in a simple black dress and be just like everyone else. But then I decided, I’m going to remind them of what they don’t like about me.” Bob Mackie was the "revenge-outfit dresser" to the stars! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]