Grrrr... Back to the office. Back to reality.
After a very pleasant weekend - Saturday doing fuck all, and yesterday spent absorbing the joyful musings of an erudite panel on the meaning and influence of divas on the lives of generations of gay men (and lesbians and others in the "alphabet soup" of labels these days) at the Southbank Centre - it's time for a wake-up call!
Who better to provide it on a Tacky Music Monday than one of those very divas - Spain's finest, one of our cherished Patron Saints, "La Leyenda" Señorita Sara Montiel (and her safety gays)?!
Fab-u-lous!
Have a good week, dear reader...
[* "Lo que pidas muy barato lo doy" = "I sell it really cheap" in Spanish; a lyric from the song]
Ha. I wonder where you were going with that title! A great number.
ReplyDeleteIt/she is fabulous! Jx
DeletePS I never sold it, I was too busy giving it away 🤣
Heaven's knows what in hell it will take today for me....back to work also. Curses!!!! And .could it be????? Could my threat of having all those bastards beheaded at blogger worked if things weren't fixed upon my return?????????
ReplyDeleteToday will be a hell of a jolt for you after these few weeks you've been gallivanting elsewhere!
DeleteLord knows what was going on with the Reading List, but I imagine the Google gnomes heard the crack of a whip in some boudoir somewhere in Pennsylvania and shuddered into action. I'd already threatened to wear their CEO's bollocks as earrings, so they were probably cowering... Jx
And rightfully so dear! Would you want two gin guzzling, well-dressed queens on the verge of nervous breakdowns with ice piks standing over you...threatening you? They best get and keep things right, or we're going in girl.
DeleteOoh! I see a Russ Meyer movie scenario coming on - I'll be Varla, you be Rosie... Jx
Deletethe South Bank, why Gays love Divas was both intelligent and camp was a jolly way to spend an afternoon.
ReplyDeleteSara Montiel ; Sadly not mentioned during the discussion but she fits the brief in every dimension.
We were asked to construct a true Diva playlist when we got home, Sara Montiel will certainly be on ours.
Ps
If we did do a Delargo; Divas playlist It would be a very very very long playlist indeed.
It was a great discussion - and very camp and jolly. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm so glad we went...
DeleteAs for our own "Diva List", I think you'll find it's already there in the right-hand column of the very blog, titled "Our Patron Saints"! Jx
It was good but not worthy of a standing ovation.
ReplyDeleteI wonder why Rita Ray from Darts didnt make the list of divas.
Que me voy
Que me voy
Que me voy.
I get the impression the audience in that film may have been applauding Señorita Montiel's - ahem - assets, rather than the song itself.
DeleteSurprisingly, Vix Perks from We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It didn't make the list either. Jx
Or Annie Haslam from Renaissance.
DeleteOr, indeed Kit Hain of Marshall Hain. Jx
DeleteI hope your week started well?
ReplyDeleteI grew up watching Bette Davis and wanting to be like her - but she's not a singer! And then I fancied myself as Cyndi Lauper - did she make the list?
Sx
We have a whole album of Bette Davis "singing"!
DeleteCyndi was never a diva in that way, she was more the "kooky girl next door"... Jx
Please share the singing Bette Davis!! I'll look on YouTube.
DeleteI think I probably managed the 'kooky girl next door' thing!
Sx
See here, here and here for evidence... Jx
DeleteThank you! The Youtube translated her as being Miss Benny Stevens!!! Now there's a name.
DeleteAnyhow, yep, it's good she stuck to acting.
Sx
I don't understand "YouTube translated" - do you mean those annoying subtitles that pop-up, and seem to be written by someone or something that has never even heard of English, let alone understand it? Why would anyone ever use those? I feel sorry for deaf people, faced with that rubbish. Jx
Delete