Wednesday, 9 September 2026

Of ballet, Trekkies, Old Masters, Morph, Freddie, a boa and a TV legend departs


RIP, choreographer Sir Richard Alston - his boys always could get their legs up higher, and wider, than anyone else!

It's another snippets post, dear reader:

  • To boldly go news: Happy birthday, Star Trek - which celebrated its 60th anniversary yesterday, with a series of events worldwide. Remarkably, our very own "super-fan" on Blogger Mr DeVice didn't even emerge from the wilderness in which he's been languishing since August to celebrate it!

  • I still reckon that's Murray Melvin! news: In a groundbreaking new exhibition at the National Gallery, all nine portraits by the Northern Renaissance master Jan Van Eyck will be on display together for the very first time, including his famous "Arnolfini portrait" (above [click to embiggen]). Van Eyck: The Portraits runs at the National Gallery from 21st November 2026 to 11th April 2027.
  • Your very own Gromit news: Action figures and original models of some of the world's favourite stop-motion on-screen characters from the creative geniuses at Aardman Animations, such as "Morph", "Wallace and Gromit" and "Sean the Sheep", will be going under the hammer in an online auction to mark the studio's 50th anniversary, ending on 24 September 2026. Get your bid in quick for "Feathers McGraw"..!
  • Ready, Freddie! news: Eight of Freddie Mercury’s most memorable stage costumes are going on display at the V&A this autumn to mark his 80th anniversary year, including the “Mercury Wing” catsuit he wore in the Bohemian Rhapsody video, and the crown and cloak he wore on tour with Queen in the 80s. The Freddie Mercury: Splendid Things trail will include displays across the whole museum, and opens on 24th October 2026.
  • Hissing Sid Siegfried? news: There was an major audition held at the New York Metropolitan Opera last weekend - for the role of a snake! A boa constrictor named Princess won. Not John Hamm...

And the weather? Erratic. Yesterday, it lashed it down all day, then brightened up early evening. Today, it's been lovely (on and off) again - but much cooler than it was on the weekend.


  • And finally: We here at Dolores Delargo Towers are distraught at the announcement that Monty Don is leaving Gardeners World at the end of the current series - after being at the helm [with a hiatus for ill-health] since 2003!

    No matter who takes over when he retires, things will never be the same again...

So soothing. So brilliant. So irreplaceable.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, where is Mr Devine?? Maybe he is in talks to take over Gardeners World?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a possibility - but the BBC probably wouldn't want Bitey on-screen, pissing over everything he plants! Jx

      Delete
    2. The BBC will just have to put up with Bitey, piss and all! (He is very good at digging holes. Not always where I want them, mind...)

      Delete
    3. Well, Mr DeVice - whop your dibber out, and get auditioning! Jx

      Delete
  2. Monty Don is wonderful to listen to. The Jan Van Eyck exhibit would be fascinating to see. Oh, to have the original Gromit for my very own! I saw an interview with Jon Hamm where he was indignant about all the attention paid to his crotch. As if he didn’t know exactly what he was doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monty Don is a wonderful presenter. We're always slightly disappointed when he is away, and either Adam or Frances stands in to host Gardeners World. I think we may well book the Van Eyck, but I doubt we'll be bidding for a Gromit.

      If Jon Hamm really didn't want his penis to get more attention than he does, he'd tuck it in a bit better and wear better-tailored clothing! Jx

      Delete
  3. This is the first post showing on my reading list today (Sunday).
    Thursday Friday and Saturday are still missing from my reading list.
    I used the newer post tab at the bottom to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very weird - it still isn't showing on my Reading List at all... Jx

      Delete
  4. Oh my Golly Gosh I can remember when Monty was the new boy!
    I think the BBC have been getting ready for his retirement for awhile now and I think he will leave us in safe hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when he took over from Alan Titchmarsh, too - and the tabloids were all full of "why-oh-why?" comments because his main claim to fame was as a jeweller, not a gardener. How times change.

      I hope Frances Tophill rather than Adam Frost takes over, but who knows? As long as they don't change the format (like they did when Toby Buckland took over the helm when Monty was recovering from his stroke), I think we'll all be happy. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]