Thursday, 3 September 2026

Of diamonds, New Romantics, weird science, embroidery, octopi, a feminist icon and Pop Looks Bach

It's another snippets post, dear reader:

  • It wasn't me, Guv! news: Thieves have stolen a stunning 200-carat platinum necklace [above] encrusted with 673 diamonds, that once belonged to Queen Consort Nazli of Egypt, from a museum in Vienna. I could wear that!
  • "No-no-Notorious" news: Royal Mail will issue a special set of stamps celebrating Duran Duran on 17th September. The collection features the band at different stages of their career, tracing their progression from early New Romantic origins to global chart success. I always fancied licking John Taylor, back in the day...
  • How old is a kiss, and a splashback-free urinal news: This year's winners of the "coveted" (satirical) Ig Noble Prize have been announced, and winning research papers' subjects include Neanderthals kissing, a new design of urinal, the aerodynamics of nose blowing, and evidence that those in higher social classes are more likely to steal sweets from a child. So much more fun than the "real" Nobels...


[click any pic to embiggen]

And the weather? "Up and down like a whore's drawers" again...

...We've had some heavy showers this week. Yesterday felt quite chilly. Today - despite the strong gusts - it was warm and quite humid. Unless we get an "Indian Summer", however, sadly I think it's "goodbye to all that". The "Season of Death" is just around the corner...

7 comments:

  1. I was going to say that John Taylor was my favourite too! And that I have the diamonds stashed somewhere safe.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I next have a "do" planned, I'll come down to Devon and borrow them! Jx

      PS John Taylor was soooo pretty! He hasn't aged well - but then again, neither have I...

      Delete
  2. Yay. We’re back in business!

    Am going in search of the music you shared because this video is not available in “my country.” I have been absorbed in the entire Bayeux tapestry lately. Oh, to see that in person. No rain here still. We survived Thursday’s 46+ temps. Friday wasn’t a hell of a lot better. Temps are dropping just a tad today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 46C is a bit too hot - the only time we experienced anything like that was in Luxor, Egypt!

      Sorry about the Ski Sunday theme video. It's a BBC video, so I should have guessed it might be restricted - try this.

      Jx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the new link. I did manage to find it online, but not this version (which is more fun to watch than what I found). It only reached about 42 today.

      Delete
  3. I have never been interested in skiing but how could you not love that music.

    Why don't they just eat the Blue Crabs themselves.
    One of Spain's most iconic dishes is Changurro, a classic Basque-style baked stuffed blue crab. Fresh blue crab meat with a rich, aromatic sofrito of leeks, onions, tomatoes, and brandy, all baked inside the crab shells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of crab meat, and it doesn't appear to be big in the Mediterranean, either. It'd be rare to find Basque dishes in Andalusia, I'm sure!

      However, Tunisia has - rather enterprisingly - turned the glut into a profit, processing the meat and shipping it to customers in Korea. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]