Thursday 2 October 2008

C’mon Barbie let’s go party



Today we celebrate the 35th birthday of Lene Nystrom, the mad, bad and dangerous to know lead singer of the wonderfully camp Danish popsters Aqua.

I recall the first time I ever heard Barbie Girl - I was in a car in Brittany with two French friends (one of them my ex), and we spent a good time on the journey doing all the actions to the song, to the bemusement of the Breton locals as we passed!

Although Aqua were one of those bands you either loved or hated (I was obviously in the former camp), they had remarkable success in the late 90s and early 2000s - where many other EuroPop acts had failed they conquered the lucrative US and Japanese markets, and sold more than 30 million records worldwide. Indeed they remain the most successful Danish act ever!

Enjoy...




Aqua official website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]