Wednesday 12 September 2012

Tears are delightful



It is a thirty years this week since one of my favourite albums was at the top of the charts in the UK - Upstairs at Eric's by Yazoo.

Back in 1982, I used to lock myself in my room [track #6], and listen to this slice of brilliance over and over on my headphones. I adored it then, and I adore it now!

Listening to it all again now sends shivers down my spine...

To celebrate this significant anniversary, I thought I'd gather all eleven ground-breaking tracks together for your delectation - enjoy!

1. Don't Go:

2. Too Pieces:

3. Bad Connection:

4. I Before E Except After C:

5. Midnight:

6. In My Room:

7. Only You:

8. Goodbye 70s:

9. Tuesday:

10. Winter Kills:

11. Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I?):

Green
In your love
On bright days
You grew sunblind
You thought me
Unkind
To remind you
How winter kills

Lost
In daydreams
You drove too fast
And got nowhere
You rode on half fare
When you got too scared
How winter kills

Tear at me, searching for
Weaker seams

Pain
In your eyes
Makes me cruel
Makes me spiteful
Tears are delightful
Welcome your nightfall
How winter kills


Yazoo official website

6 comments:

  1. This is one amazing album, I must say. I love it all, but I have always had a big soft spot for "Tuesday" and (especially) "Winter Kills". And then there are these amazing singles, the other album tracks - it is without a doubt one of the best albums of the early 80s!

    I have the 2008 box set "In Your Room", that includes both "Upstairs At Eric's" and "You And Me Both", along with remixes, music videos, a short film and TOTP performances from both albums. But the best part: both albums are presented in 5.1 mix! A wonderful package for anyone who likes Yazoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I did need to look up "5.1 mix" - but this box set does sound wonderful! However, you can't quite beat the old vinyl, in my opinion... Jx

      Delete
  2. It's funny how the LP's one used to listen to as a kid/teenager still sound almost magical on vinyl. That's how you listened to it again and again and even though I do love a good remaster on CD, I know exactly what you mean. Listening to records like "True Blue" and "Hunting High & Low" on LP makes me feel like it's 1986 again (and judging by the musical landscape of 2012, maybe it should be!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinyl has a quality digital can never quite capture. Quite wonderful! As for the different musical landscapes - back in the 70s and 80s an artist had to sell millions of physical copies (Upstairs at Eric's sold 1.5 million in its original format) in order to get and retain a top slot. In contrast, our current top-selling album - Emeli Sandé Our Version Of Events - has been in the UK charts since February and yet has only sold 660,000 copies (no indication how many were download only). Jx

      Delete
  3. I loved Upstairs At Eric's so much when it came out. Constant play for a year. 30 years ago. Really?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]