Monday 30 October 2017

Wonderful you



I have been deep in concentration all day today, at home on study leave - studying the esoteric end of the "leadership and management theory" spectrum, if you really need to know; lord knows I wish I didn't!

Despite the steam that has been rising from my brain-cells since 9am, I have not forgotten that today is a Tacky Music Monday, dear reader; our traditional "opening number" of the week from the glitzy world of showtunes - however, the epithet "tacky" is somewhat of a misnomer when it comes down to the array of talent I have in store...

On Saturday, our beloved Dame Cleo Laine (she of the estimable, and still clear as a bell, jazz tonsils) turned 90 years old. Just this July, she was up and performing at her annual "Dankworth Family Festival" alongside daughter Jacqui, guitarist John Williams, musician Earl Okin and vocalist Lorna Dallas. I couldn't imagine being that energetic if I were her age. Nor even at my age.

And here is the great lady herself - alongside Margaret Whiting, Maureen McGovern, Dionne Warwick, Jack Jones and John Raitt!


Imagine being in that audience...

Many happy returns, Dame Cleo Laine (Lady Dankworth DBE, born Clementine Dinah Bullock, 28th October 1927).

Have a good week, peeps!

6 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to see Dame Cleo and the Dankworth Big Band in Norwich's St. Andrew's Hall a few years ago (I say a few years, it could quite easily have been a decade or two ago!). I'd only ever really seen her on shows like The Two Ronnies or Morecambe and Wise, so getting to see and hear her live was a bit of a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine - she's one of the divas that has been on my wish list (alongside Dame Shirl) to see, but time, sadly, is slipping away... To our chagrin we never got to see Celia Cruz when she was in London, but we did manage Eartha Kitt, Bea Arthur, Elaine Stritch and Barbara Cook (RIP, all). Jx

      Delete
  2. Okay, but after the shots of Betty White & Allen Ludden, who were those couples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we knew... According to this "review", Miss White hosted the programme The Great Love Songs back in '95:

      Taped at New York City's Supper Club, the production nostalgically showcases six artists in a cabaret setting. As they perform, couples young and old, sitting at candlelit tables, tell which numbers are "their songs" and why.

      The concept sounds nauseating, but the performances are flawless... Jx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is. She is due to be recording a whole Friday Night is Music Night special on 29th November, which would be a treat to go to - but for the fact tickets start at £30. And it's in Birmingham. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]