Sunday 24 March 2019

As Mother Nature proudly spreads her new green carpet



Finally, it would appear that Spring has arrived! The sunshine and balmy temperatures have perked the plants up no end, and everything is either sprouting or blooming as we speak. Yesterday I spent a few hours helping our friend John-John in potting-up some new plants he'd bought for his back yard; and today I spent all day in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers, tackling some of our large salvias - we now have three S. patens "Deep Blue" and two S. ulignosa; and in previous weeks we also divided our big yellow dahlia into two, and our phlox into three, so the garden will be even more of a jungle this summer than it was last year...

...and, to top it all, our Cymbidium orchid (as pictured above) has fourteen beautiful flowers on an impressive 4ft spike - and it's only the second time it has bloomed in its life!

All this floral goodness deserves an appropriate bit of "Sunday music" to celebrate, and what better than this Spring medley by the impeccable Dame Julie and the man they described as the "greatest living entertainer in the world"?


Medley includes: I Love You, Spring Is Here, Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most, April In Paris, It Happens Every Spring, It Might As Well Be Spring.

Lovely.

10 comments:

  1. Well, we had a nice weekend, but it wasn't balmy here yet. Our bulb flowers are now blooming or getting ready too. Your orchid is lovely. I had some that would bloom for some time, then I lose patience waiting for them to bloom again. You probably can't see, but I salute you. Cheers🍸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to guess what you're saluting me with... Jx

      PS as you might see if you follow the link, this was an orchid I purchased as a bulb in 1996 - and it flowered for the first time in 2014. Now that's patience!

      Delete
  2. Oh, thank goodness it's spring SOMEWHERE. It's still snowing here, as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ever thus in Narnia, n'est-ce pas? Jx

      Delete
  3. I really miss having a garden, even if I don't miss the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a roof terrace; our garden is paved over - so everything here is in pots! You, too, could have a garden as well if you wanted. Jx

      Delete
  4. So...that cym finally put forth.And how!Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a stubborn one - but when she does show her face, she is utterly gorgeous! Jx

      Delete
  5. My lawn mower went out for a spin yesterday. There is still a chill wind, but I am dodging bumble bees, and there is a bit of sunshine, so at least we are heading in the right direction.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bees, the birds, even the hoverflies are all out and about - it's definitely Spring! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]