Thursday 21 March 2019

Gastropubenteritis


Adults have been enviously eyeing the straightforward and tasty children’s menu in a London gastropub, it has emerged.

The grown-up menu at the Hoop and Wheelmaker pub in Hampstead includes unappealing items such as buttered kale casserole, plus simply incomprehensible ones like ‘lamb minarets’.

By contrast, the children’s menu contains classic dishes such as fish fingers, chips and beans, beef burger, chips and beans, and sausages, chips and beans.

Adult Tom Booker said: “That’s proper, actual food. But apparently it’s only available to the under-12s and I have to pay £15 for a cauliflower steak. I mean, fuck off with that.

“Also my kids ordered in 30 seconds, whereas I had to pretend I understood the pretentious menu. What are ‘hand-roasted tomatoes’ anyway?”


Fellow customer Donna Sheridan said: “I had to have a manky sourdough ciabatta while my children were tucking into burgers and potato waffles. It’s so unfair I almost had a tantrum.

“My friend Helen had the cunning idea of ordering two kiddy-sized portions of fish fingers, chips and peas, but the bastards are wise to that and they took the children’s menus away.”
The Daily Mash

Of course.

8 comments:

  1. Our supermarkets now sell something called "cauliflower rice." No, I didn't buy it.
    I remember a pub (Euston?) having a lunch special just before we joined the Common Market. The chalkboard was written in (bad) schoolboy french and offered such delights as Le grenouille dans la trou...you can imagine the fun punters had with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear - trying to translate "Toad in the Hole" into a pretend French dish is not a good idea. Unless it's done as a piss-take, of course. My erstwhile other half was head chef in a Bistro-style restaurant in a rather - ahem - less cultured area of the country; on April Fool's Day, he added "Pâté Merde du Chien" to the specials board... and people tried to order it! Jx

      Delete
    2. I know some people thought grenouille dans la trou thought it was something down the trousers. "Hey! Tel-wossa french fer ferret?"
      What the hell was less cultured than Euston???

      Delete
    3. Oh, believe me - out there in "the sticks" there are people who haven't even heard of Euston, and certainly have never been there! Jx

      Delete
  2. Gastropub? Here I thought that was a place for one to break wind freely and loudly....like Blazing Saddles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you get up to in Taco Bell is your own business, dear. Jx

      Delete
  3. we have pretentious restaurants here too; I call their selections "yuppie food". gimme good old REAL food!

    (snooty server) "will madame have the bullshit & onions demi glace with a side of spam special tonight?"

    (me) FUCK NO, gimme some chicken parm and spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate all that twaddle. I like my food to be food, not some wanky artwork-on-a-plate. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]