Saturday 20 February 2021

Big Girl, You are Beautiful

Heavens! I almost missed the fact that the effervescent fierce rulin' diva, proud lesbian, lately plus-size fashionista and house fave here at Dolores Delargo Towers Miss Beth Ditto celebrated her 40th birthday yesterday...

Without further ado, by way of a tribute here are three of my favourite numbers by the diva herself - first up, a solo hit, and the following two with her band, the faboo Gossip:

It's a cruel cruel world
To face on your own
A heavy cross
To carry along
The lights are on
But everyone's gone
And it's cruel

It's a funny way
To make ends meet
When the lights are out
On every street
It feels alright
But never complete
Without joy

I checked you
If it's already been done
Undo it
It takes two
It's up to me and you
To prove it

On the rainy nights
Even the coldest days
You're moments ago
But seconds away
The principle of nature
It's true but
It's a cruel world

We can play it safe or play it cool
Follow the leader or make up all the rules
Whatever you want, the choice is yours
So choose

I checked you if it's already been done
Undo it
It takes two and it's up to me and you
To prove it

It's a cruel world.

Amen, sister!

Many happy returns, Beth Ditto (born Mary Beth Patterson, 19th February 1981)!

2 comments:

  1. She is just fabulous
    The videos are fab too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like so many talented acts, she/they had a moment in the sun, then walked away from it all. Shame. The Gossip has had reunion tours, but no new material unfortunately, not now she's gone into fashion and all... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]