Saturday 6 April 2024

Reality is something you rise above

  • "Unless you show off, you're not going to get noticed." - Elton John.
    [above: Elton's outlandish costume for his 50th birthday party in 1997; designed by Sandy Powell - so enormous, complete with model galleon atop the wig that emitted real smoke, that he had to be transported to the party in a removal van!]

Our "gang" went en masse to the V&A's opulent DIVA exhibition (before it closes next week) yesterday. It was my, Sal's and John-John's second visit, but a first for Madam Arcati and Hils.

Here are some (more) highlights...

  • "I'm too busy putting my energies into my performance to be a diva." - Shirley Bassey.
    [top left: Dame Shirley Bassey's stage costume, complete with monogrammed wellies, from Glastonbury Festival in 2007]
  • "To be good is to be forgotten. I'm going to be so bad I'll always be remembered." - Theda Bara.
    [top right: Theda Bara's costume from Cleopatra, 1917; possibly her own design]
  • "For me, a diva is like the great opera singer, the great film star - out of reach, in their own world, with a real gift for invention: attention-demanding performance artists with a flamboyant, compelling sense of their own importance so special and inimitable it verges on the alien." - Grace Jones.
    [bottom left: Issey Miyake bustier worn by Grace Jones on stage (it's tiny!)]
  • "I'm a curiosity in Hollywood. I'm a big freak, because I'm myself!" - Clara Bow.
    [bottom right: Clara Bow's costume from The Wild Party, 1929 - the only known surviving "flapper dress" worn by her - designed by Travis Banton]

  • "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe.
  • "I believe that it's better to be looked over than it is to be overlooked." - Mae West.
    [top left: Marilyn Monroe's "shimmy dress" from Some Like It Hot by Orry Kelly; also Mae West's diamante trimmed frock from I'm No Angel by Travis Banton]
  • "When I sing, people shut up." - Barbra Streisand.
    [top right: Costume worn by Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl, 1968; designed by Irene Sharaff]
  • "A woman has just as much right in this world as a man and can get along in it just as well if she puts her mind to it. I've lived by a man's code designed to fit a man's world, yet at the same time, I never forget that a woman's first job is to choose the right shade of lipstick." - Carole Lombard.
    [bottom left: Carole Lombard's frock from We're Not Dressing, 1934; by Travis Banton]
  • “Until you’re known in my profession as a monster, you’re not a star.” - Bette Davis.
    [bottom right: Bette Davis' gown from All About Eve; by Edith Head]

  • "Reality is something you rise above." - Liza Minnelli.
    [top left: Gown worn by Liza Minnelli in New York, New York; designed by Theadora Van Runkle]
  • "Use your faults, use your defects; then you're going to be a star." - Edith Piaf.
    [top right: The (tiny) stage costume worn by Edith Piaf (on display alongside her comb, hairbrush and throat spray!)]
  • "If I can't be me, I don't want to be anybody. I was born that way." - Joan Crawford.
    [bottom left: Joan Crawford's costume from Mildred Pierce, 1945; by Milo Anderson]
  • "The only person I really believe in is me." - Debbie Harry.
    [bottom right: Outfit worn by Debbie Harry on Blondie's European tour, 1979; by Stephen Sprouse]

  • “I’m sort of the patron saint of drag queens.” - Bob Mackie.
    [Stage outfits by Mr Mackie for Cher, Tina Turner, Cher and - um - Cher]
  • "You're born naked, and the rest is Bob Mackie." - RuPaul.

Simply stunning...

[Madam Arcati enjoyed it so much he took every one of these photos - click any pic to embiggen.]

11 comments:

  1. Fab U Lous post dear.
    The DIVA exhibition was truly magical and amazing.
    I am so pleased my snaps came out ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you finally got to see it! Jx

      Delete
  2. A great post and exhibit. What a collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's utterly stupendous - even second time around, it took my breath away! Jx

      Delete
  3. I agree - great post! Great Flapper dress!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! Credit due to whoever actually sewed /glued/nailed some of those outfits. I'd have loved to see them up-close. And Madam A. -good phots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the intricate details on these frocks brought a tear to my eye. There were so many exquisite items on show! Jx

      Delete
  5. FANTASTIC!!! The clothes, but even more so, the quotes from all involved! Thank you, sweetpea, for sharing and especially, Madam Arcati for your delicious photos! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite the collection! I only hope that, like so many of the V&As sumptuous shows, it gets to go on tour so more people can see it! Jx

      Delete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words about my snap-shots.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]