Tuesday 2 April 2024

Move your body

Back to work. Sigh.

After a lovely week of on-off pottering in the garden, and a long Easter weekend in Essex stockpiling more delights for the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers, I really do not want to face the same old, same old grind again just yet...

Hey ho. Today would have been the 85th birthday of Mr Marvin Gaye, one of the finest singers to emerge from the Tamla-Motown stable, taken far too soon [he was shot dead by his own father forty years ago yesterday]. His musical legacy includes classic duets with the likes of Tammi Terrell (including Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing and You're All I Need to Get By), Miss Ross (You Are Everything), and of course a huge raft of solo classics such as How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You), I Heard It Through the Grapevine, Too Busy Thinking About My Baby, What's Going On, Mercy Mercy Me, Sexual Healing - and this one:

That cheered me up. Sort of.

Marvin Pentz Gaye Jr. (né Gay, 2nd April 1939 – 1st April 1984)

16 comments:

  1. What a great mash-up. Nice way to start my day. Can’t believe it’s been 40 years since Marvin Gaye was killed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies...

      It's a clever video mash-up, indeed! Love it. Jx

      Delete
  2. Nice mash-up.
    I heard news of newly discovered material by Marvin Gaye - have to admit that I am rather cynical about that sort of thing!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suspiciously well-timed discovery for his 85th anniversary... Jx

      Delete
  3. Marvin Gaye's music is Motown to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The label was heading rapidly downhill by the time he left it.

      Gladys Knight and the Pips, The Four Tops, the Isley Brothers, The Jacksons, the Detroit Spinners, Miss Ross (although she came back later), and even Mary Wells had all left before he did... Jx

      Delete
  4. If he had lived, do you think he would have made a disco album like Eartha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song in this video is as close as he got to "doing Disco". Before he died, his massive comeback single was "Sexual Healing" - a higher-pitched version of the sort of song Barry White used to do - so I would guess he'd have been heading for "My Ding-a-Ling" territory à la Chuck Berry before too long... Jx

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Jon - Marvin Gaye and that video has brought me back up after the downer of work (like you, this was my first day back in nearly two weeks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a horrid necessity, but we survived day #1 - and it's a short week, so hurrah! Jx

      Delete
  6. That made me jump up and dance around the kitchen, sweetpea! Hope the rest of your week flows as smooth as the music! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a generally uncomplicated week from here on (loads of people are still on leave, so it'll be next week that'll be the true test...)! Jx

      Delete
  7. You do find some good stuff! Best mash-up I've seen for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bloody good one, isn't it?
      [Even if I have no idea from which movie some of those dance sequences have been lifted...] Jx

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. There ain't half some clever bastards out there. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]