Wednesday 23 November 2011

Downton mania



Still thinking about last night's "evening With Julian Fellowes", at which the special surprise guest was none other than the smouldering sexpot Dan Stevens (Matthew Crawley)!

The discussion - at the very lovely Georgian pile that is St James' Church off Picadilly - was fun, exploring the history and rationale behind the whirlwind success story of Downton Abbey, the reason why it went to ITV rather than the BBC (editorial freedom, apparently), the actors and the historical context.

Rather than go too far into the detail, suffice to say it was obvious the principal raison d'etre was to flog the World of Downton Abbey book, written by Mr Fellowes' niece Julia. Suffice to say also, Hils got us a copy (signed by the whole panel, which included the two Fellowes and executive producer Gareth Neame as well as the lovely Mr Stevens) for Xmas - it is also available now from Amazon.

Any excuse, in my opinion, for some gratuitous shots of the beauteous Dan, here trying to act casual...



...and in the adaptation of Alan Hollinghurst's gay novel The Line Of Beauty:



Plus, as a special bonus (because I love it!), the "Downton Disco"!!



I can't wait for the Christmas Day episode, which Mr Fellowes hinted will tie up an awful lot of the "loose ends" at the end of the second series...

Downton Abbey

4 comments:

  1. Splendid setting and lovely surprise guest.

    I did wonder why Downton was on ITV and not Aunty Beeb - seemed like a more logical home for the show and would avoid those damn adverts.

    Aren't you lucky to have Hils - everyone should have a Hils :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our very own "Lasy Mary Crawley"... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Our very own "Lasy Mary Crawley"" - charming!
    I see myself as rather more of an O'Brian really, complete with knitted hair. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lasy? I think I meant "Lady". Or maybe not.

    Knitted hair? You should wear a hat. You look lovely in a hat! Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]