Saturday 3 December 2011

Your secret's safe



As is my wont I always like to seek out the long-forgotten ladies of pop, the divas and the wannabees, for your delectation.

Thus, when I discovered that just such a lady by the name of Jaye P Morgan is celebrating her 80th birthday today, I had to get more on her...

Miss Morgan was apparently a huge TV hit in the USA from the 50s to the 70s, not least for her appearances on The Gong Show (a 70s cult talent show that never ever crossed the Atlantic, so flies straight over the heads of us Brits - we had Opportunity Knocks).

Before her television career really took off she did, however, have the good fortune to sing with some of the greats, including Perry Como, Louis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton and Gene Krupa.



I also discovered this odd little track from Miss Morgan's mellow 1976 album produced by Canadian mega-producer and composer David Foster (the man who brought us Michael Bublé, The Corrs and Josh Groban, who composed the music for St Elmo's Fire, and who also worked with Celine Dion, Toni Braxton and Madonna among many others). Not a great song, admittedly, but an interesting theme - Closet Man:


Bizarrely I have featured Miss Morgan before (without knowing anything about her) - in this spectacularly camp vignette.

Many happy returns, indeed.

Jaye P Morgan

2 comments:

  1. thanks for this posting - used to wonder what she was famous for (back before we knew term "celebrity whore or Fame Whore" - she sounds like the singer Phoebe Snow - nice style!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]