Monday 30 July 2012

Queer Things Are Happening To Me



After a few days off, and having completely failed in my attempt to become one of the "100 Instant Millionaires" - as promised by the Euromillions lottery - it's unfortunately back to work for me! Hey ho.

I thought I'd cheer us all up on this Tacky Music Monday with something by Ruth Wallis - that risqué cabaret performer of the 50s and 60s, and a house fave here at Dolores Delargo Towers - but I cannot find any live performances by the lady singing any of her bawdy "classics". Unsurprising, really, as her albums were banned in many countries at the height of her fame - so it's highly unlikely that any television network would have let her appear on camera singing such notorious numbers as Boobs, De Gay Young Lad, The Hawaiian Lei or Johnny Had a Yo-Yo...

Instead I found a gem of a clip from 1994's "Gay answer to 'Ghost'", To Die For (or as it was renamed, Heaven's A Drag) [Camp Movies We Have Never Seen, #432 in a series], which features Miss Wallis's wonderful Queer Things:


Enjoy - and have a great week!

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous track, and a lovely Monday song me thinks ;)

    (I did not become an instant millionaire this weekend either. Most unfortunate, especially after my latest e-bay shopping spree...I wonder if it is possible to sue these damn lotteries for false advertising?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should be able to sue them for misapplication of their product. Of the 100 millionaires who won in the UK on Friday, 28 of them have yet to come forward and claim their prize.

      So I think there should be an elimination test before people are allowed to enter - Do you need the money? Are you too stupid to deserve it? Do you know how to shop? Etc, etc...

      Jx

      Delete
  2. I love that idea - we would surely not spend it on drugs and hookers like that poor garbage collector from the UK that won some silly amount of money a few years back. He then spent it all in a couple of years, only to go back to his old job...

    (We would spend it all on hats, obviously)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes" - Patsy Stone

      "Darling, even Amanda de Cadenet would remember the word 'accessories'" - Edina Monsoon

      Jx

      Delete
  3. You just made me want to watch AB - yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello "Dolores";

    Ruth Wallis left this world in 2007. Since her passing, my mother has received more airplay than during her 30 years career. As you have pointed out, the Eisenhower era was not very receptive to Ruth Wallis' humor. It's heartening to find that people are still entertained by her.

    Are you aware of 'Boobs ! The Musical'? Do you have the 'Love is for the Birds' CD reissue? Thanks for keeping her music alive.

    Best,

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan,

      Thanks for your kind words.

      I was indeed very sad to hear of Miss Wallis's passing. I would have loved to have seen "Boobs! The Musical", but unfortunately it never came to our shores.

      We have several of the great lady's vinyl and CD releases, but I have yet to acquire "Love is for the Birds" - now you have suggested it, I will add it to my "wish-list"!

      Long may Ruth Wallis be remembered. RIP.

      Jx

      Delete
  5. "Boobs! The Musical"? Why, that sounds like a treat, doesn't it??? I just might becoming a fan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You've gotta have boobs! B-O-O-B-S!" Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]