Wednesday 8 September 2021

Mullet!

It's technically impossible for a sound to have a mullet – and yet 80s music persisted. These bands were roughly 4:1 on the haircut to music front:

Bananarama
Venus is still popular today everywhere from dancefloors to razor ads, and Gillette chose the song especially because you can actually hear Bananarama’s stiff, vertical hairsprayed locks in the track’s vocals.

Van Halen
Beloved by teens worldwide, Van Halen’s hair resembled what any 13-year-old boy finds most comforting: his mother. Cut layers into shoulder-length, chestnut hair and you’re looking at either a young Eddie van Halen or the new head of the PTA.

Kajagoogoo
Kajagoogoo believed that if you take Bananarama hair, then hack away at it with scissors and dye, it’ll make for songs that are just as beloved and commercially successful, right? What was that one hit they had?

The Police
Eventually The Police split, which was obviously going to happen once they stopped having identical looks and admitted Sting’s hair was best. You can’t perform as a unit if you don’t all have flicky bleached blonde ‘dos.

Wham!
Not even sarcastic: George Michael had a mullet and it looked good. Conspiracy theorists reckon he couldn’t actually sing at all, we were all just so mesmerised by his tresses we never noticed.

Duran Duran
The band were actually named after the ‘dur-an, dur-an’ noise of hairdryers desperately trying to tease their hair into anything like the majesty of George Michael’s. Ended up resembling the row of photos in a hairdressers’ window that optimistic customers point to.

Bon Jovi
Listen to Livin’ On A Prayer and the very riffs themselves tell you it’s by five men with the silhouettes of cocker spaniels after nasty encounters with static electricity.

Phil Collins
Collins’s midlife crisis albums powerfully demonstrated that you can be a multi-million selling artist and still it all means nothing because you’re losing your hair. That’s what makes his records so emotionally raw and harrowing.

The Daily Mash

Of course.

14 comments:

  1. And we all contributed to the hole in the ozone layer with our Hard as Rock hairspray [God, did that stink] - hairspray was never the same after they took the CFCs out. Hair went flat for a decade.
    I hear that mullets are back in fashion, does that mean the return of Kajagoogoo?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could cut your hand open on someone's hair when they'd used that stuff! Jx

      PS Limahl looks very different these days...
      PPS As Mitzi pointed out in her comment yesterday however, Toyah has a new album out!

      Delete
    2. Toyah looks like she got very bored during Lockdown. Nice to hear that she still has a lisp, and Ben Elton's jacket though.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. I wonder when she swiped that? Jx

      Delete
  2. And what of Flock of Seagulls, dear??? And Adam Ant. And Ms. Cyndi Lauper. Oh... 80's tresses were full of distresses. I lost my hair teasing and pulling and spraying. Yes, I was a hair hopper and proud of it. That it looked like total shite and I had no idea what I was doing shouldn't matter. My fave look? I went to a salon and had them give me the Annie Lennox look. It looked like shite, but... hey. I TRIED. I TRIED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tracy's "flamboyant flip" is all the rage, Miss Edna. Jackie Kennedy, our First Lady, even rats her hair." Jx

      Delete
  3. Back in the 80s I gave my sister an interesting haircut as she slept in a drunken slumber, it was a cross between Suzanne Vega and Dave Hill from Slade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Livin' On A Prayer" two posts in a row?!? What are you trying to do to me, Jon?? I feel the need to fling myself against a 'Hard as Rock' hairdo now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, we're half way there
      Woah, livin' on a prayer
      Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
      Woah, livin' on a prayer
      Livin' on a prayer


      I am almost tempted to do a blog about "Hair Metal" now... Jx

      PS Only kidding

      Delete
  5. And back when I was a young 'un the Teddy Boys cultivated the Duck's Arse hair-do...
    Followed by the Flat Top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...both styles persisted even after The Beatles and their "long hair revolution", but by the '70s "The Mullet" was well into its stride, from "Aladdin Sane" onwards. Jx

      Delete
  6. I remember mothers and aunts reviving anti-macassars to cope with the god-awful Brylcreem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only place you see antimacassars these days is on planes! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]