Friday 3 September 2021

It's elusive, call it glitter

Almost there...

It never ceases to amaze me how a "short week" [we had a Bank Holiday on Monday] can feel like it has dragged so very, very slowly - but hey ho! Another weekend is a-looming. I am off to a BBQ with friends in Battersea tomorrow, so we hope the weather stays dry!

Meanwhile, the media and the world in general (in particular our friend John-John, who is a bit of a fanatic) are having a frenzy over the news that ABBA has re-formed to record a new album [only five years after they first announced it!], so let's go there, shall we? - and Thank Disco It's Friday!

End of night a new day dawning
And the first birds start to sing
In the pale light of the morning
Nothing's worth remembering
It's a dream, it's out of reach
Scattered driftwood on the beach

Summer night city
Summer night city

Waiting for the sunrise, soul dancing in the dark
Summer night city
Walking in the moonlight, love-making in the park
Summer night city

In the sun I feel like sleeping
I can't take it for too long
My impatience slowly creeping
Up my spine and growing strong
I know what's waiting there for me
Tonight I'm loose and fancy-free
Ah-ah

When the night comes with the action
I just know it's time to go
Can't resist the strange attraction
From that giant dynamo
Lots to take and lots to give
Time to breathe and time to live

Waiting for the sunrise, soul dancing in the dark
Summer night city
Walking in the moonlight, love-making in the park
Summer night city

It's elusive, call it glitter
Somehow something turns me on
Some folks only see the litter
We don't miss them when they're gone
I love the feeling in the air
My kind of people everywhere

When the night comes with the action
I just know it's time to go
Can't resist the strange attraction
From that giant dynamo
And tomorrow, when it's dawning
And the first birds start to sing
In the pale light of the morning
Nothing's worth remembering
It's a dream, it's out of reach
Scattered driftwood on a beach

Waiting for the sunrise, soul dancing in the dark
Summer night city
Walking in the moonlight, love-making in the park
Summer night city

Have a good one, dear reader!

11 comments:

  1. Apparently Abba are having a virtual concert and are using avatars - they will never get old! I might try it myself.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like an avatar of me in my 20s to do Zoom/Teams meetings... Jx

      Delete
    2. Yes! I want that too! I think it will happen for our generation.
      Sx

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to this new stuff. They are marvelous songwriters, although frequently out of step with current trends - hopefully they go for timeless and effortless and avoid being sullen. This song is bittersweet, as autumn is upon us. A bit of a prick in the back... et tu, Jon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of the songs are currently available on YouTube - I Still Have Faith In You and Don't Shut Me Down. I prefer the latter... Jx

      PS Yes, I did choose Summer Night City for today's post with somewhat ironic intent.

      Delete
  3. Somehow I missed ABBA's reformation news. Thank heavens for you, Jon!


    P.S. That gif of French & Saunders dancing had me momentarily flummoxed - They've changed a lot since I last saw them. Are they using avatars as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh. It's not like it's been headline news on practically every BBC bulletin and in all the papers, or anything... Jx

      PS French and Saunders had better choreography.

      Delete
  4. YAY!!!!! But you just know dear Anne Marie is rolling in her grave causing noise in Fabulon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll have her glitter platforms on before you know it! Jx

      Delete
  5. All very exciting, am so looking forward to seeing/hearing what they have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this will be "the event of the year" - the album's due for release on 5th November, according to John-John... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]