Saturday 8 January 2022

Just a mortal with potential of a superman


right-click and "open in new tab" to embiggen

The "God who walked among us", David Bowie would have been seventy-five years old today.

No-one, no thing could ever replace him...

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man
Just a mortal with potential of a superman
I'm living on
I'm tethered to the logic of Homo Sapien
Can't take my eyes from the great salvation
Of bullshit faith

If I don't explain what you ought to know
You can tell me all about it
On the next Bardo
I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
And I ain't got the power anymore

Don't believe in yourself
Don't deceive with belief
Knowledge comes with death's release
Ah!
Ah!

Don't believe in yourself
Don't deceive with belief
Knowledge comes with death's release
Ah!
Ah!

David Bowie (born David Robert Jones, 8th January 1947)


More Bowie:

Read my week-long series of "Bowie Tracks of the Day" following his untimely death six years ago:

Read my two-part magnum opus in tribute to the great man on his 65th birthday:

14 comments:

  1. He had something special. He was something special.Still is something special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many lovely memories of this man and his music. He truly graced our lives in the most alien of ways. Hard to pick a single song, his body of work was so vast and of such high quality. Thanks for remembering him today. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a "Bowie shrine" of various photos, together with the programme from the only time I saw him live in 1983, framed, above my desk as we speak... Jx

      Delete
  3. Neither he nor his legacy will be or could ever be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what time of day or night, even as we speak, somewhere in the world there will be a Bowie track playing... Jx

      Delete
  4. Where do the years go? I can scarcely believe it's been six years.

    My favourite is "The Man Who Sold the World"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but whose version - Lulu, Nirvana, Midge Ure, or the man himself..? Jx

      Delete
  5. "No-one, no thing could ever replace him." You said it all, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An entire era of creativity died with him six years ago. I see no artist nowadays that would even be worthy of kissing his feet. Jx

      Delete
  6. Great clip of Bowie and Robert Smith - I've never seen it before, so thank you.
    Is the original version of this song on Hunky Dory? - I seem to remember singing along, and I used to play that album a lot.
    I always enjoy Bowie duets - especially Under Pressure with Freddie Mercury.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good duet, isn't it? However, Robert Smith was twelve years old when Hunky Dory was released, no not the original... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]