Saturday 1 January 2022

Arise...

...Dame Vanessa Redgrave, Dame Jenny Harries (chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency), Dame June Raine (head of the vaccines regulator MHRA) - and, of course, Dame Patsy Stone Joanna Lumley - coronavirus "heroes" Sir Chris Whitty and Sir Jonathan Van-Tam, broadcaster and former politician Sir Trevor Phillips, filmmaker Sir John Boorman, and [erm] Sir Tony Blair (Order of the Garter); as well as Gold-medal-winning Olympian couple Dame Laura and Sir Jason Kenny. Daniel Craig was made a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George, and veteran poitician Frank Field becomes a Companion of Honour.

Joining them in getting gongs are Commanders of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) Bernie Taupin, cookery writer Claudia Roden, newsreader and presenter Moira Stuart, "money saving expert" Martin Lewis, and filmmakers Barbara Broccoli, Michael G Wilson, Anthony Horowitz and Paul Greengrass (as well as someone I was close to way back in the 1990s when I was secretary of the Gwent AIDS Support Group, Neil Wooding); Officers of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) June Brown (aka "Dot Cotton"), Bill Roache ("Ken Barlow"), sex god Tom Daley and fellow trunks-wearer Adam Peaty, gardening guru Dan Pearson and Pauline Black of The Selecter; Members of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) Melanie Brown ("Scary Spice"), journalist and presenter Kate Garraway, Tom Daley's synchronised dive partner Matty Lee, dancer Ashley Banjo, Classic FM presenter Margherita Taylor, best-selling author Adele Parks and tennis champion Emma Raducanu.

Congratulations, all!

My Damehood is obviously still in the post. Again.

HM The Queen's New Year Honours List 2022

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You'll have to say that in a far deeper voice, dear. Jx

      Delete
  2. Yes, I was chuffed for Patsy, too!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " Y'know it's all a blank with me until 1968, sweetie." Jx

      Delete
  3. Hmm... when will you get the nod, dear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the hat and the gloves ready and a-waiting... Jx

      Delete
  4. I wonder if Posh Spice is pissed off with Mel B.

    Also well done to Katie Piper OBE! Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posh Spice looks permanently pissed off, so it would be difficult to tell. I doubt it, though, since she's already got the OBE, which is the next level above MBE. Even Geri's not got that, and she's a UN "goodwill ambassador".

      Katie Piper has become an amazing ambassador for how one can triumph over adversity, and deserves all the accolades she receives. I'm not sure I'd particularly like her if I met her, regardless. Jx

      Delete
  5. A good and worthy list this year.
    I am So pleased Claudia Roden got a mention.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]