Wednesday 2 February 2022

Haute cuisine

A woman has scoured her recipe books for a dish that requires a splash of red wine just so she has an excuse to drink the rest of the bottle.

Lauren Hewitt found a spaghetti bolognese that needed 50ml of red wine, knowing that it would allow her to neck the other 700ml and get pissed on a week night.

Hewitt said: “An authentic spaghetti bolognese requires red wine to intensify the flavour, so it was vital that I spent 10 minutes in Tesco picking out a bottle I really like.

“Yes, I substituted the rest of the complicated ingredients for a jar of Dolmio and a tub of cheap mince, but that’s why the wine is necessary. To elevate it. Nigella would do the same.

“And it’s nice to have a glass while I’m cooking, and then two glasses while I’m eating, and then polish the bottle off in front of the telly after. Otherwise it would just go to waste, despite the fact it’s a screw top and would actually keep for several days.

“Anyway it could be worse. I nearly decided to make penne alla vodka.”

The Daily Mash

Of course.

Hic!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They know how we all approach cooking! Jx

      Delete
  2. A pity there are no dishes that require gin.

    Oh, please... prove me wrong.

    Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually a gin and tonic CAKE. The BBC has a recipe for it.

      Delete
    2. Traditionally, it originated as a medicine. Then it (or rather its stronger cousin genever) rose in popularity when the Dutch and French were at war and French brandy was banned, and of course we Brits went mad for it and developed the spirit we know today. I never heard of anyone cooking with gin until modern times when it became so amazingly trendy, however. I doubt that BBC cake recipe is more than a few years old. Jx

      Delete
  3. Wine - after all it's just a fancy name for vinegar!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where you buy yours from - Sarsons? Jx

      Delete
  4. Gazpacho also requires red wine and its one of our favorite recipes because it is easy to make, no heat required and allows you to drink the majority of the bottle. Perfect for hot summer nights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I'd skip the gazpacho and head straight to the booze... Jx

      Delete
  5. Where possible I like to save the wine and use Cider when I am cooking it helps the wine last longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, I'd eat a pizza and drink the cider. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]