Monday 14 February 2022

While you were away...

We're back, dear reader, after a much-needed week in the sunshine (and it was indeed very sunny and warm on the Costa del Sol, thank heavens), to be greeted by miserable, pissing-down rain here in London. Sigh. At least I have a second week off to recover sulk...


Our apartment balcony [click to embiggen]

So what did we miss while we were away? The main news is [stifles chuckle] it snowed in the UK! Other news: that Fascist Putin's still waggling his willy at the Ukraine; HM The Queen celebrated 70 years on the throne and the Platinum Jubilee celebrations commenced; the 2022 Winter Olympics continued as usual (met mainly with apathy); Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick [an unfortunate name for a lesbian] finally resigned after a barrage of scandals in the force; some very clever people in Oxford apparently did something interesting with a nuclear reactor; and somewhere "oop North" a pig wandered into a workman's club and had to be lured out with cheese and onion crisps.

We missed three centenaries - Patrick Macnee, Denis Norden and Hattie Jacques! - as well as the 90th birthday celebrations of the film music maestro Mr John Williams, whose long career encompasses everything from Peter Gunn to Goodbye Mr Chips to The Eiger Sanction to Harry Potter and beyond. His list of movie scores is gob-smacking, including The Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Jaws, the Star Wars saga, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman, E.T., Home Alone, the Indiana Jones films, Saving Private Ryan, Amistad, Jurassic Park, War Horse (and much more besides) - and this beautiful number:

Also while we were away it was Sheryl Crow's 60th, and what would have been the 70th of the lovely Simon MacCorkindale - and, sadly, the UK bade a fond farewell to television boffin Bamber Gascoigne, presenter of University Challenge for 35 years.

Returning to our holiday however (we wish!) - did we bring any new musical discoveries back with us? No. As creatures of habit, we tend these days to gravitate towards a few bars we know and in which we have made friends - and just about all of them happen to be Dutch, rather than Spanish. However, sticking to the traditions of Tacky Music Monday, here's someone who definitely was - our Patron Saint of Histrionics Señorita Rocío Jurado!

With a plethora of safety gays and girls who look like drag queens [I'm sure I spotted a youthful Dame Hilda Bracket in there somewhere], bizarre costume changes, piss-poor miming and a duettist who looks like Ron Burgundy sans moustache - this is just perfect!

Is it good to be back?

NO!!!!!!

Have a good week, peeps.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I guessed the top tune was from Schindler's List before I saw the title - yes, a beautiful score.
    I am so jealous of your sunshine! Thankfully I dodged the torrential rain this morning, anyhow, pleased you had a good week away from the nightmare that is normal life.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lovely tans, so we do rather stand out in a crowd in the dripping wet of Wood Green. "Normal" is a word I never use! Jx

      Delete
  2. Well you might not be glad to be back but we're all glad to have you back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Back! I hope you had a good time and by that I mean lots of cock! Wasn't Bamber Gascoigne a dreamboat? The pig story reminded me of when my maid of all work Carmen ran amok in Betfred, I had to coaxed her out with a biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately most of the available cock on offer at Mens Bar was even uglier than that pig. We had a great holiday nonetheless! Jx

      PS Bamber Gascoigne's a wank fantasy of yours? Good heavens. You'll be saying you rubbed one out over Professor Ronald Hutton next.

      Delete
    2. Ye Gods! That'll be a challenge.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Jon, a week of warmth and sunshine - A taste of Summer! Didn't you try and fit it in the overhead locker to bring back for the rest of us?
    Still, welcome back!

    I think I saw the young Hilda Bracket, too. At about 35 seconds in, she was the one in the middle row on our left?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's my turn to fly off next week to a sunny locale! The first act with the guys got me thinking how the men's hairstyles of the 70's made it difficult to tell if some of them were 12 or 22. Hahaha. One of them looked like he could be her son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocío Jurado was the mother of all Spanish safety gays!

      Have a great holiday, my dear. Jx

      Delete
  6. Welcome back, dear. Sounds like you had a marvelous time. Good for you. Happy Valentine's Day. Oh, I saw John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl in 1996. It was a retrospective and he did several selections from Schindler's List. Have a lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a faboo holiday!

      John Williams live? At the Hollywood Bowl? I'm impressed. Jx

      Delete
  7. Hell, I now know you were gone. Hell, I was on the throne for 7 days and no one did anything for me.

    Lovely to see you in the sun. For a change.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did titter a little at your comment - as "on the throne" over here is a euphemism for being sat on the loo. Seven days of that would indicate you'd eaten some dodgy seafood :-)

      I like the sunshine, and it likes me! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]