Thursday 24 February 2022

Nightmares...

There are earworms so powerful that they begin playing on loop in your head simply by reading their names. Find out which:

Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex, 1995

A cash-in to the line-dancing craze then sweeping the world that killed the line-dancing craze sweeping the world, Cotton Eye Joe is a terrifying glimpse of life in the Deep South by way of Swedes doing a Eurodance makeover. You are already hearing it. Somewhere in the deepest recesses of your hypothalamus it never stopped.

Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen, 2011
The artist involved made a valiant effort not to be a one-hit wonder. But when your song has a hook this weaponised it will inevitably be all anyone knows you and hates you for. You’re humming this song already, as is someone who just walked past, and by 4pm it will have been transmitted to 40,000 people.

Baby Shark by Pinkfong, 2016
Has been watched on YouTube more than ten billion times. There are fewer than eight billion people on Earth. Do the maths; Baby Shark is more successful than humanity. Not many songs can put ‘used to psychologically torture prisoners in an Oklahoma jail!’ on the cover. This can.

The Great Escape theme by Elmer Bernstein, 1963
Whistled by office workers trapped in a nine-to-five who dreams of forming an escape committee, doing pommel horse exercises in the staff canteen while colleagues tunnel out, and dribbling soil out of their trousers as they nonchalantly walk to and from the office printer. This will now be playing all day in your mind, even tonight as you fall asleep.

Barbie Girl by Aqua, 1997
Another Scandinavian pop horror worldwide hit, fondly remembered by a generation of adolescent boys who fancied lead singer Lene Nystrom and ignored the bit where her arm falls off. The lyrics ‘kiss me here, touch me there, hanky panky’ are never forgotten once heard, and in 2048 will be the last thing that goes through your mind before you die.

The Daily Mash

Of course.

Given the current news headlines, this one is mine...

As I have said before, this song may ostensibly be an uber-camp, incredibly catchy, "nonsense song" - but Verka knew exactly what she was doing, as the lyric "Lasha Tumbai" does sound very much like she's singing "Russia Goodbye"...

14 comments:

  1. Going to get me in trouble here, but I liked Call Me Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't alone, Norma! I'm humming the song right now and it's just fine! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verka is probably using that coat as a radar jammer right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looks like she could punch a tank. Jx

      Delete
  4. I still have one of Peenee's Kenny Loggins' earworms in my head, namely, "The House on Pooh Corner." Damn you, Peenee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from Footloose and Danger Zone, I don't think I have ever knowingly heard any Kenny Loggins "songs". Thankfully. Jx

      Delete
  5. Agree about all those songs. They forgot Gangnam Style. And I am sure I could come up with a number of others. Ring My Bell, springs to mind. Love the Ukraine video. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's zillions of trashy sings that would fall into the category of "earworm"... Jx

      Delete
  6. I actually had to click on the Great Escape theme as I didnt know what it was. But then I did. I'm now listening to "Call Me Maybe" to get over it!

    ("Baby Shark" was a staple here whenever the nieces & nephew dropped by - fortunately they've all grown out of it now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lawdy - children... I'm with Robert Helpmann in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on that score. Jx

      Delete
  7. Ack, I was doing well keeping them all out of my head until I read 'Danger Zone'. Ack. Cheers for that.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]