Sunday 5 May 2024

Jukebox Jury

The weather's been "up and down, like a whore's drawers" (as my Nana would say) lately - one minute it's warm enough to go out in shirt-sleeves, the next moment, torrential storms. Just right for a three-day Bank Holiday weekend, of course.

Hey ho - we're off to the impressive London Palladium tonight, dear reader, to see this lot (and it would be curmudgeonly of me not to play them, as they are our "house band", after all)...

However, let's not just leave it there, shall we - how about a selection of "newer" music that's caught my ear of late?

Let's open with one of our all-time fave bands Pet Shop Boys, who continue to outclass the rest - and here's their latest, a tribute to Rudolph Nureyev, no less:

A surprisingly funky number from Miss Cyrus and Mr Williams:

Here's an irresistably catchy choon, as heard on the Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show on BBC Radio 6 Music:

A rather faboo little slice of electro, with a very odd video indeed:

Rather uncharitably described by one commenter on the video as "The kind of song that'd be playing at H&M while you're trying on new jeans.", nevertheless I think this is rather good:

Our Princess teams up with a fellow pop powerhouse:

And finally... (Thanks to Madam Arcati for discovering it) a little bit of pop nonsense from a French ensemble that cleverly incorporates a raft of familiar 80s classics into one!

As ever, dear reader, I welcome your thoughts...

12 comments:

  1. Postmodern Jukebox! I am so envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old people make fantastic weather vanes, if I see one passing by with elbows unsheathed I know it's time to slap on the SPF 50. Hope you enjoy the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They "feel it in their bones", you know...

      Jx

      PS The show was utterly fantastic!

      Delete
  3. I love Postmodern Jukebox, what fun that you get them as a house band! I only had time for one video so I chose the last one because I love SciFi and it looked interesting. It did not disappoint! It wasn't just music renditions, but also some clothes styles from the 80s and 90s. The woman with the vacuum reminded me of something Julia Roberts wears in Pretty in Pink, and another outfit that reminded me of what Gloria Estafan used to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That L.E.J. video is a lot of fun, trying to "get" all the references, as well as the outfits... Jx

      Delete
  4. I love mashups, but that one was particularly brilliant. I loved how their English was occasionally a little wobbly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes it all the more endearing... Jx

      Delete
  5. Gosh what a fab night a the London Palladium, Fab video too it certainly had Sax appeal.
    The Pet shop Boys just keep on giving. - love it.
    I love the Eliza Rose track and have been listening to it on me 'Walk Man' (sorry ear Pod/Buds) a lot and I Don't even shop in H&M.
    Love the Kylie too but have never heard of Sia or knew she was on the track. There are better mixes available by the way.
    Et je suis tellement heureux que vous ayez apprécié le MashUp. I thought it was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the selection - and yes, PMJ were a joy-and-a-half, weren't they?! Jx

      PS You may not immediately know Sia, but you certainly know her biggest hit Chandelier - here in a far superior version (of course). She's written loads of songs for others, too, including What The Future Holds for Steps and Into the Blue for Kylie.

      Delete
  6. I found myself toe-tapping to all of these (except the PSB one - I'm not as enamoured with them as I once was), but my favourite is "Love" by Lucy Dreams - "rather odd" video and all! (Sorry, Kylie)

    H&M sometimes have gems on the speakers (if rarely on the racks anymore) like your find. I even found one myself back in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I spend very little time in H&M (their clothes have "gorn orff" a lot of late - unless one happens to be a skinny skater-boy, there's not much that's actually wearable there) so would be blissfully unaware of what, if anything, was playing on their PA system...

      Glad to know you found some things to love here! Sorry to hear you and Pet Shop Boys are having such a messy divorce. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]