Friday 24 July 2020

Heavenly storm; just what I'm searching for



Almost there, peeps - another frustrating working week is crawling slowly to its denouement.

It also happens to be the 60th birthday today of the multi-purpose Miss Siedah Garrett, a lady who spent much of her career "20 Feet From Stardom", as backing vocalist for the likes of Queen Madge, Pointer Sisters, Brand New Heavies, Quincy Jones, Donna Summer and Jennifer Hudson. A modicum of chart success beckoned in the mid-80s when she was chosen as duettist with former Tempations vocalist Dennis Edwards on the minor hit Don't Look Any Further [a song that went on to be a massive hit for M People a decade later]; she struck gold with her duet with the then-"King of Pop" Michael Jackson on I Just Can't Stop Loving You, then back into the shadows she went...

...until she was "rediscovered" in 2007 by Brighton's finest, The Freemasons - and aren't we glad they did?

Thank Disco It's Friday!


Adore that song. "Rain down, love"? I hope it doesn't.

Have a good weekend, dear reader!

14 comments:

  1. As the Dowager Countess said "Wha... What is a week-end?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Don’t be defeatist, dear, it’s very middle class.” Jx

      Delete
  2. I am sure I am in the UK [it is raining so I must be here] but I am being told the video isn't available in my country. Tut.
    Anyhow, have a great weekend!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Fixed it...

      Jx

      PS Weather's OK here - for the moment. However it is Saturday tomorrow so it's bound to rain...

      Delete
    2. Thank you!!! I like a sailor!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. There's nothing like a good Hornpipe, I say. Jx

      Delete
    4. Just the one, Ms Scarlet? I like four sailors!

      Delete
    5. Definitely a seamen handful... Jx

      Delete
  3. I love this song! It's been an age since I've listened to it, so that means I'll have it on repeat for the next half an hour or so (I've already listened to it three times).

    Happy weekend, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an absolute classic, isn't it? I never tire of hearing it either. Jx

      Delete
    2. It did get 11 or 12 goes, but Kylie's "Say Something" has taken over now, you earworm inducing fiend!

      Delete
    3. Ha ha! My work here is done! Jx

      Delete
  4. Love this track but never knew Siedah Garrett did the vocal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet another long line of underrated singers who sit in the sidelines when dreadful wibblers like Mariah-fucking-Carey and Beyoncé, and pathetic-voiced strippers like Rihanna and Ariana Grande, get the spotlight. Unfortunately. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]