Monday 13 July 2020

Make it so


Our new bench, in the "jungle"

Such beautiful weather yesterday - and today, more's the pity, as we enter week 17 of working from the living-room - the garden is really taking off!

To try and alleviate the sad fact that I do indeed have to work for a living, so my time in the paradise we have created is curtailed again, on this Tacky Music Monday we have a double-bill of celebrations to cheer us up.

Firstly, that delightful old fruit Sir Patrick Stewart celebrates his 80th birthday today! Despite his six-decade career as a classical actor, including sixteen years with the Royal Shakespeare Company [indeed I saw him in Antony and Cleopatra way back in 1978 in Stratford-upon-Avon, opposite Glenda Jackson and Alan Howard in the titular roles], it is forever for his role as Captain Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation that he will be remembered. I don't actually recall this particular musical scene, but it certainly woke me up:


The other bit of exciting news is that we have booked our flights for our annual pilgrimage to Amsterdam next month! We and the Essex Boys had paid deposits for our rooms, and the hotel confirmed it was indeed open for business and expecting us, so we thought "what the hell"? So, on that note, here's a typically understated little number from one of our fave Dutch queens [whose own milestone birthday - he turned 60 in April - we missed completely], Mr "De Toppers" himself, Gerard Joling!


I need to borrow that coat to wear as I alight down the steps of the EasyJet plane at Schiphol!

Have a good week, dear reader...

14 comments:

  1. I love the singing Captain Picard!! Happy Birthday, Sir Patrick!
    I also love Q. Mr Devine will know what I mean.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoopi Goldberg stabbed him with a fork! Mr Devine will know that, too... Jx

      Delete
    2. I do have an inkling of what you both mean, funnily enough.
      I'd never seen that clip before though, so thank you!

      Delete
    3. "The Continuum didn't think you had it in you, Jean-Luc. But I knew you did."

      Jx

      Delete
  2. P.S Of course your garden is gorgeous too!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear. I am sure it will be explored in a more comprehensive manner by Madam Arcati in her monthly diary blog... Jx

      Delete
  3. BEAUTIFUL garden; I could sit on that bench and knit and listen to nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely place to sit, although much of the time it's the sound of magpies that fills the air. We need to get an airgun. Jx

      Delete
  4. Well I will keep the bench warm and take in the views of the extensive gardens while you work dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to budge up at 4pm - for that will be CIDER TIME! Jx

      Delete
  5. That's looks like a sturdy, comfortable bench - I'm surprised you managed to squeeze it in amongst all that luxurient foliage! I notice that those lilies on the left are almost out - I do hope your olfactory senses are not overwhelmed when the big day comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two lilies have indeed done "the handover" - the tower lily on the right has dropped all its flowers, but the "Stargazer" on the left is now dazzling and scenting in its place... Jx

      PS Yes, the bench is rather - ahem - imposing, but we're hoping for a spell of dry weather in which we can stain it and tone it down a little.

      Delete
  6. Which is the most camp ?
    It dosen't matter I love both clips
    and roll on Amsterdam
    maybe we can find an out fit like Gerard Joling's for next Pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better start hunting those ostriches... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]