Sunday 19 July 2020

Es simplemente imposible



Crack open the Tinto de Verano - it's the birthday today of the fantabulosa Señorita Vikki Carr!

She is undoubtedly one of our favourite singers here at Dolores Delargo Towers, and we have quite a collection of her music in our music library.

I have, of course, played her "camp classic" It Must Be Him many times - not least here - but what of her other big '60s OTT number?


A boon to drag queens everywhere...

Not everything she did was so dramatic, of course, and on this Mexican bolero (that eventually became a huge standard for the likes of Perry Como, Shirley Bassey and many more as It's Impossible), her vocals are truly beautiful:


Many happy returns, Florencia Bisenta de Casillas-Martinez Cardona (aka Vikki Carr, born 19th July 1941)

More Vikki here, here, here and here.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not really aware of Vikki Carr - where have I been?!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there you go - another magnificent artiste for you to explore. She's worth it... Jx

      Delete
  2. I adore this woman and her voice

    ReplyDelete
  3. That (With Pen in Hand) is the most passive aggressive song I've ever heard. I thought the lyrics were someone threatening to commit suicide at first, before I worked out it was a divorce song.

    She does really get all the possible meanings across, it's a wonderful singing /acting performance. It's terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was written by Bobby Goldsboro (he of the schlock-fest that is Honey fame), so it's no wonder the melodrama and pathos is piled on so thick - but then, of course, Vicki Carr could never, ever resist a bit of melodrama! As I said in the post, I am sure there's many a drag queen (or just a queen) who has based a routine around her... Jx

      Delete
  4. I hate "honey". She makes something really haunting out of this song, but the lyrics are really manipulative and I can't tell if they're meant to be. Was vikki in on the joke, if there was one?

    It's not as chilling as God Only Knows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Señorita Carr knew exactly what she was doing... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]