Sunday 6 December 2020

Unsquare, dig?

Another centenary to celebrate today, dear reader...

Mr Dave Brubeck [for it is he] was a pioneer of jazz, right at the pivotal moment when the music began to embrace "modernity" in the 1950s - yet thanks to his innate musicality, he avoided joining the likes of Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonious Monk in adopting the "free-form" bebop style that split the movement (in particular here in the UK) between "modern" and "trad" genres. As a consequence, he became equally popular with the public and the serious jazz aficionados, selling millions of LPs in the '50s and '60s.

He was also a steadfast supporter of the burgeoning civil rights movement. He toured ceaselessly with his mixed race quartet, and refused to ever perform before a segregated audience. He even walked off a live television broadcast when he realised the director was trying to prevent the quartet’s African-American bassist Eugene Wright from appearing on screen.

His legacy lives on with a catalogue of innovative, and eternally memorable, numbers - and here, truly fitting the bill of "Sunday Music", are just three of them...

The coolest of the cool cats.

David Warren Brubeck (6th December 1920 – 5th December 2012)

8 comments:

  1. Ah, that was lovely. It's been a long time since I've heard "Take Five" - I'm just going to give it another listen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it is the biggest-selling jazz record of all time - though where they draw the line in defining that one is somewhat tenuous, I'd say... Jx

      Delete
  2. The times I tried to play Take 5 on my sax - haha!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you succeed, Miss Scarlet? Jx

      Delete
    2. All I remember is that it has a very odd timing to it, and I couldn't fit all the notes into a bar. Which sounds like I was in a pub throwing money around in a pub! Oh dear.
      So the answer is no, no really - I ended up with something that sounded vaguely similar but not quite right.
      Sx

      Delete
    3. That'll be due to its "unorthodox quintuple (5/4) time" [according to Wikipedia], then... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]