Sunday 13 December 2020

Da schvans? These lovelies?

It's a grim, wet and wintry Sunday, but there's a glimmer of hope in the extensive gardens of Dolores Delargo Towers - as we have a bizarre seasonal "handover". The fuchsias and salvias are still (just about) blooming, yet we have our first snowdrop in bud! The herald of Spring has arrived, and we don't even hit Midwinter's Day for another week.

Optimism and cheer are much-needed at the moment, so here's a moment of bliss in a tumultuous world to soothe the mood, courtesy of the BBC Instrumental Sessions:

Just what the doctor ordered.

[The headline is a quote from Funny Girl, of course.]

8 comments:

  1. How confused the snowdrops must feel, bursting on the scene weeks before their entrance cue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...Sure of my lines
      No-one is there..."


      It's all very confused out there. Spring and autumn in one garden. Jx

      Delete
  2. I do love "The Swan". I have vague memories of playing it on the piano when I was younger. Not quite up to the standard of the BBC orchestra though... *ahem*

    I can't see any of my snowdrops, but there seem to be plenty of crocuses and daffs breaking cover. And one pot of snake's head fritillaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loads of our bulbs are up - including Anemone de Caen (which we would normally associate with "tulip-time" in April), and Dutch Iris (whose leaves are a foot tall, yet last year didn't flower till May!), as well as the "usual suspects" such as dwarf Iris and Chionodoxa, yet no sign so far of Daffs nor Fritillaria...

      Jx

      PS Do you have any recordings of young DeVicette tinkling his ivories?

      Delete
  3. What are ya gonna do? Shoot da swans? These lovelies?
    Can't you see when you look at me
    What a lovely creature is a swan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm the greatest star
      I am by far
      But no one knows it"


      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]