Friday 9 September 2022

You ain't been blue

As we're all in mourning for Her Majesty the Queen, I thought it somewhat inappropriate to whoop up a party atmosphere in my traditional way to mark the end of a week. Everything's cancelled anyway, including the Last Night of the Proms, so I foresee a quiet weekend afoot.

However, among the acres of coverage across our media, I did discover a surprising fact - that HMQ was a great fan of Mr Duke Ellington [and the feeling was mutual; he even wrote a whole suite for her]!

So here's something appropriate for our national mood:

And here's Ella's vocal version:

You ain't been blue; no, no, no
You ain't been blue
Till you've had that mood indigo
That feelin' goes stealin' down to my shoes
While I sit and sigh, "Go 'long blues"

RIP, Queen and Duke...

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tune, Jon, and the information. I think I have been gloomed out - it will feel strange to hear a jolly tune on the radio again!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few more weeks of this mourning yet to come - at least until after the funeral. Some BBC radio stations are slowly getting back to normal, but I'm not sure "jolly tunes" are necessarily in order. Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's a perfect tribute. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queen Consort Camilla seems like a big Captain and Tenille kind of gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - I imagine her playlist might involve the likes of Tony Orlando and Dawn, The Carpenters, Art Garfunkel and Leo Sayer. And anything involving a horse. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]