Thursday 29 September 2022

Someone kind who knows you treasure, any simple little pleasure

We have another centenary to celebrate today, dear reader - that of the beautiful Lizabeth Scott - understudy to Tallulah Bankhead, one-time rival to Veronica Lake, star of hundreds of movies alongside the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster, Charlton Heston, Robert Ryan, Dick Powell, Victor Mature, Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Kirk Douglas, Elvis Presley, Lucille Ball and Michael Caine, and quite possibly a lady lesbian (she was "outed" by scandal-rag Confidential in the 40s, and indeed she never married)...

As I observed in my tribute to her on her 90th birthday - she also sang! Admittedly, in the final cut of Either It's Love or It Isn't from the 1947 movie Dead Reckoning her voice was dubbed by Trudy Stevens, but that practice was very common in films then:

However she did release an album (Lizabeth, 1957) that proved she was actually a great vocalist:

Love her.

Lizabeth Virginia Scott (born Emma Matzo, 29th September 1922 – 31st January 2015)

12 comments:

  1. Now that's an interesting voice!! She seems to have two voices in one.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her voice reminds me of Kathleen Turner's as Charles 'Helena Handbasket' Bing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reference I had to look up. I loathed Friends, so I am not surprised I didn't know it.

      Love Kathleen Turner, however! Jx

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it's also really annoying to have a man around the house! Hahaha. I like her huskier voice. When I play video games where you get to choose a romantic partner, I always pick the least annoying and/or most interesting one regardless of their gender. In my last game of Stardew Valley, I had a lovely wife named Abigail who liked playing a pan flute in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever where gaming is concerned. The closest I have ever been to playing a computer game is Solitaire. Jx

      Delete
  4. Such a beauty. And a fascinating allure... like Bacall. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they all "pursed their lips and blew" on occasions. Jx

      Delete
  6. Lovely sultry voice and I agree she did have a touch of Lauren Bacall about her. She was perfect for 'Film-Noir'.
    The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946), where she stars along side Barbara Stanwyck is well worth a watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mention of "Strange Love" in the title leads me to think it was a euphemism for lesbianism - which is quite apt with those two in the cast!

      Incidentally, Miss Stanwick loathed Miss Scott. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]