Monday 12 September 2022

Do as you darn well pleasey

Sigh. After what has turned out to be quite a reflective weekend, it's time to steel ourselves to open that laptop and see what joys the world of work is going to bring us...

Among the "revelations" about the late Queen's musical tastes - I covered her "pash" for Duke Ellington on Friday, and the Beeb did a whole programme for her 90th that "discovered" (shock horror) that her preferred choices included songs from several musicals, some hymns, miltary marches, and Gary Barlow, Vera Lynn and George Formby. There was one rousing sing-a-long number mentioned, however, that she liked to dance to in particular.

"Nobody thought it was odd after dinner if we put on a record and all sang Doing the Lambeth Walk, so music has always been part of her life." - Lady Elizabeth Anson

So, on this Tacky Music Monday, let's have a most unexpected version of said choon - courtesy of our own Gallic Patron Saint, Dalida!


I can imagine Ma'am giggling at the incongruity...

Have a good week, dear reader.

8 comments:

  1. I’ve never heard (nor seen) the French version of the Lambeth Walk. I wonder if the queen ever saw that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One wonders if she ever even heard of her!

      Dalida was hugely successful in her native France, across Europe, throughout the Middle East, and even in Canada, but as far as I can tell she never performed in the UK, and she certainly never had a hit here. Jx

      Delete
  2. New to me....LOVE IT!!!! A great tune for a Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dalida was a gay icon - so I'm not surprised you loved it!

      If you haven't already, click the label at the foot of the post to find much, much more... Jx

      Delete
  3. How very fun. That warms the cockles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think of many a fun way to warm the cock(le)! Jx

      Delete
  4. Crikey, that must have been written during the last King's reign!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - 1937, to be precise!

      Dalida was four years old when it premiered in the show Me and My Girl... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]