Saturday 3 September 2022

Euterpean odyssey


Wheeeeeee!

It's been a very slow Saturday, and the weather's overcast and very muggy, which doesn't exactly help. Time, methinks for a selection of "newer" choons that have caught my ear of late...

Let us open with the latest from a band that I first stumbled across thirteen years ago (gulp)!

[featuring dancers Harry Ondrak-Wright and Rory Macleod]

The fantabulosa Steps are probably high on champagne, as not only is it their 25th anniversary this year, but they've just become the first British, mixed-gender group to earn a Number 1 album in four consecutive decades (1990’s, 2000’s, 2010’s and 2020’s) with The Platinum Collection - which also features this new one!

Claire's transmogrification into Dame Lulu continues apace...

As featured by an almost-hysterical Rylan on his Radio 2 show today, the prettier one of the former Bros frontmen is back:

Even better - and even more unexpected - the eternally cute Claire Grogan and her chums are back with their first new music in 39 years! And it's very good indeed:

Speaking about "blasts from the past" - who would ever think that a bizarre one-hit-wonder from way back in 1995 would be revived in a cover version by a Danish avant-garde electropop artiste? It works...

Making a convenient connection to the "Spaceman" theme, the UK's "Eurovision superhero" has a (very jolly) new single out, which should cheer us all up as we wait to find out what city lands the prize of hosting next year's Song Contest on behalf of winners Ukraine:

And, finally - a rather good earworm, courtesy of "Big Willy":

As ever, dear reader, let me know your thoughts...

13 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun lineup! That first picture is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great gif, isn't it?

      Please let me know your thoughts on the selection as and when you get time to listen, Melanie! Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I will have to come back and listen to all of these - I am on Steps at the moment but need to get out before more rains are delivered. I really want to listen to Sam Ryder especially.
    So far - Steps is very Steps!!! Not Abba enough for me though!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting a better hook from Sam Ryder - maybe it will grow on me like Spaceman - but I'm a sucker for a key change, and he hasn't got one in this.
      Sx

      Delete
    2. Claire Grogan has a special voice! So I like her offering.
      Didn't like the Matt Goss.
      The Editors - Yes, I like this as my brain is trying to pick out the 80's influences - yet can't quite spit out the name of a band that is on the tip of my tongue!
      I'm not usually fond of cover versions of old favs, but this cover of Spaceman is good.
      What is Will doing with a bottle of Comfort and a slight lisp? Anyhow, I like it!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. I was expecting a dramatic key change from Mr Ryder, too!

      The Editors always remind me of Depeche Mode - is that who you were thinking of, Ms Scarlet?

      Willy's lithp thertainly theems to have got worthe... 😜 Jx

      Delete
  3. I love seeing Stymie spinning at top. Did you grow up with Little Rascals and Our Gang reruns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of 'em. I remember when I was a kid we had Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin re-runs - but my faves were Laurel and Hardy (of course)! Jx

      Delete
  4. Some good singers here, but no earwigs for me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mitch - I love all of them, but I don't sense a "classic" among these that will get endless repeat plays on radio, somehow. I suspect, however, the one by Matt Goss might well be a "grower"... Jx

      Delete
  5. Will Young's "Love Revolution" is the definite earworm here. Fab!

    You know I love Steps, but "Hard 2 Forget", while good, sounds like a filler track from an album and rather easy to forget, sadly. Still, it's better than Matt Goss's offering which lacks confidence, to my untrained ear - too breathy and indistinct. And I have issues with whatsername's voice covering "Spaceman" too - not a fan. Speaking of: I find Sam Ryder really annoying, so he's bottom of the pile for me (couldn't finish listening to the song).

    Love Altered Images' "Kiss" (and the video) and Editors' "Mascara Streakz", though! Just going to have another listen.

    P.S. I'm still listening to Confidence Man's "Holiday" from your last selection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case it sounds familiar, Willy's Love Revolution is actually a re-working of that dance classic Loneliness by Tomcraft (itself sampling an earlier soul number) - see here. Jx

    PS I think you've created a "mash-up" of your own between The Editors and Altered Images here, or maybe just mixed up the titles 🤓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear, yes, I seem to have thought myself a creative DJ there. Oops!

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]