Sunday, 19 July 2026

He'll wrap you in his arms, tell you that you've been a good boy


Happy 50th birthday, Benedict Cumberbatch! As I have said before: Magic's come a long way since the days of Tommy Cooper and Paul Daniels...

It's a verrry slow day again today, dear reader. After a mammoth telly-and-film binge (mainly Marvel stuff) at John-John's yesterday [we started at 1pm, and I got home in a taxi at 1am], I didn't even surface today until about 2 o'clock!

At least it's not as searingly hot as it has been of late, so it's quite pleasant to sit out in, and I might, if I feel arsed to, do some pottering in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers.

Meanwhile, some suitable "Sunday music" from our house band is in order, methinks. [The original version of this was used as the theme tune to Peaky Blinders apparently; I wouldn't know, I have never watched it.] .

On a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat with a red right hand

He'll wrap you in his arms, tell you that you've been a good boy
He'll rekindle all the dreams it took you a lifetime to destroy
He'll reach deep into the hole, heal your shrinking soul
But there won't be a single thing that you can do

Those lyrics bring back memories of cruising grounds of old...

13 comments:

  1. I actually arose earlier than normal.

    And today, just about every blog post I read today, only one blog showed up in my reader today with a current post. Just about every blog still is showing from yesterday's posts, some blogs not even showing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ho - at least we have Postmodern Jukebox to console us! Jx

      Delete
  2. Ooh! This is a good 'un. (And I did watch Peaky Blinders; I quite expect a re-run since Sam Neill's death.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard a Nick Cave song sound so good!

      Cillian Murphy's a handsome man, but even he wouldn't tempt me to watch it. Jx

      Delete
  3. I tried Peaky, but couldn't see the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one, Mr Peenee. Jx

      Delete
  4. I read that it was BC's birthday today and then saw a clip of him on Graham Norton's show where he told an anecdote about Madonna asking him of Benedict Cumberbatch was his real name, to which he replied, "Why, yes it is, Madonna!" The look on his face and his mannerisms was delicious! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's in the magnum opus promo film for Confessions II, so they must get on very well... Jx

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a good time at JJ's watching Mr Cumberbatch. PMJ fab on any day but perfect for a lazy Sunday.
    I tried watching Peaky Blinders but absolutely hated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His Doctor Strange films weren't actually on the menu on Saturday (we've seen those already in the cinema), but...

      Yes, it is very odd quite why that show became such a big hit - and even led to loads of men's clothes shops suddenly stocking tweeds and flat-caps. It looks dour to me. Jx

      Delete
  6. I couldn't get into Peaky Blinders either. Same with Game of Thrones. Both went completely over my head.
    I like Savvy's comment re BC and Madonna!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Hunger Games... Not one of them appealed enough for me to even want to bother to find out what the fuss was all about. Jx

      Delete
  7. I was never one for being told what a good boy i was. Still, great music. I must admit i got hooked on Peaky Blinders. And Cillian Murphy is so nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]