Saturday 17 March 2012

If they were me and I was you



Another of our teenage kicks turns 50 years old today!

Many happy returns to the lovely Clare Grogan, one of our neighbours here at Dolores Delargo Towers (I often see her round the shops in the area).

Miss Grogan (outstanding as the star of the best "teen movie" ever Gregory's Girl) and her band Altered Images were omnipresent in my formative years. With their uncompromisingly upbeat pop ditties they formed a perfect "foil" to the seriousness of the likes of Siouxsie, New Order and The Associates (also on my playlist at the time). They remained "cool" nonetheless but were never considered a part of the contemporary New Romantic or Goth movements.

With her hard-edged cutesiness, she is indeed a bit of a "national treasure" in the UK, appearing in such cult shows as Red Dwarf and Father Ted. Of late, Miss Grogan has chosen a quieter life (and who could blame her?) writing children's books and appearing in the occasional panto, and took part in one of those "celebrity dance" programmes in 2008.

So to celebrate, what else could I possibly play but Happy Birthday?


Clare Grogan on Wikipedia

3 comments:

  1. Claire Grogan 50 - it is amazing where the time goes (think I've said this before).

    I was 11 when this was in the charts and although it's their best known song, they did have some good singles like Pinky Blue and I Could Be Happy - x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their moment in the sunshine was over far too soon - and yes, it is bloody scary where the time goes... Jx

      Delete
  2. The Altered Images album Bite is one of my very faves.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]