Saturday 1 June 2013

Under my skin



Today, on what would have been the legendary composer and arranger Nelson Riddle's 92nd birthday, I thought a bit of "swing easy" music might be appropriate - so who better than Mr Riddle's most famous collaborator, Mr Frank Sinatra to set the mood?

From Sinatra! An Artistic and Historical Overview, an article by Phillip D. Atteberry:

I’ve Got You Under My Skin from Songs for Swingin’ Lovers is often hailed as Sinatra’s single greatest recording, with Milt Bernhart’s crescendoing trombone climaxing the instrumental bridge. And certainly this cut reflects the swinging, swaggering hat-tilted image that Sinatra was cultivating. No longer the gentle, wavy-haired teen idol, this was a voice of experience, a guy who had been around and really knew about getting under one’s skin.

Nelson Smock Riddle, Jr. (1st June 1921 – 6th October 1985)

3 comments:

  1. didn't nelson have an affair with rosemary clooney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did, indeed. And together they recorded:

      "All debutantes say it's good
      And every star out in far Hollywood
      Seems to give it a try
      So why shouldn't I?"


      Jx

      Delete
    2. lip-syncing, in its infancy.

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]