Sunday 15 September 2019

Flag-waving?



You, dear reader, will no doubt know already that I am a long-serving campaigner for, and staunch advocate of, the rights and visibility of gay people (and related acronyms). I have hawked many a protest banner, been an active participant in many a rally - not least the Gay Pride March since 1985, from when it was still a valid political statement rather than today's rules-obsessed corporate wank-fest - gathered signatures for petitions against Section 28 and for the equal age of consent, protested the Pope and Putin, and worn both the pink triangle and the rainbow flag as a badge of honour. Out and Proud, indeed.

But what to make of last night's - ahem - Last Night of the Proms?

Far from wanting to sound like Violet, Countess of Grantham, I am patriotic, and a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to such matters. I love a good pageant - and the Royal Family always comes up with goods on that score - and I do believe that the closing session of the most important eight-week musical festival in Britain (and indeed the the world) is, has always, and always should be a moment when everyone who is British [English, Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish] has the opportunity to show their red, white and blue colours. And why the hell not?! Despite the best efforts of the hand-wringing middle-class Guardianistas to upset this with their free hand-outs of EU propaganda, the good old Union Flag is still the predominant visual symbol one expects to see on such a prestigious occasion. Of course, the flags of all nations have always been in evidence as well, but at least they, too, are symbols of nationhood.

US mezzo-soprano Jamie Barton is undoubtedly a fantastically-talented singer. She obviously has a deeply-held pride in being "different"; in being an outspoken advocate for women of her size, and for the visibility of those, like herself, who are bisexual. Good on her, if that is what she wants to do with her influential position as a rising star and public figure. She chose to wear outfits for her appearances on the Last Night in the "colours of bisexual pride", lavender, pink and blue. So far, an excellent way to get a message across.

But what possessed her, or the BBC, or anyone in charge of the night's classic finale, to raise the rainbow flag rather than the British one? She was singing Rule, Britannia [our "second national anthem"], ffs, not Over the Rainbow [which she actually did sing earlier]! I loved seeing rainbow flags in the audience, and especially around conductor Sakari Oramo's podium [where the world's cameras focus so heavily]. But for an American to fail to raise the British flag at this climactic moment of a British celebration was jarring to say the least. Just imagine if someone from the UK had done it at the American Independence Day Concert in Washington, for instance, while The Star-Spangled Banner was playing?

There are times, and - as I know - places where protest and making a statement are necessary, especially when there are so many examples of bigotry, persecution and criminalisation of LGBT people across the globe. Might I humbly suggest that while singing Rule, Britannia was not one of them?

There is no real footage of the Last Night online, so here's a whirlwind tour, accompanied by the traditional Hornpipe:

10 comments:

  1. I can see where you're coming from, I mean it would be great to forget about politics sometimes, but then, you can't. No one has the option.

    It's nice to see some celebration of Britain while it's still there... I'm English but the main things I'm patriotic about are the BBC (created by a Scotsman) and the NHS (created by a Welshman.)
    Weirdly I don't go a bundle on any "British" patriotic songs, ones about "England " tend to be better. Nothing beats Jerusalem.

    (Ps I hope you aren't as genuinely worked up by this as you sound- you can't tell from text. Its pretty far down the outrage scale.)

    My brother messaged me to tell me she was doing Over the Rainbow, but I never really like people covering Garland songs (Lorna Luft was on the World Service this morning. ) don't really like it when opera singers cover pop/jazz/showtunes either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found it a bit of a cheap gimmick. I am always suspicious these days about people "grandstanding" ostensibly on behalf of a worthy cause when - if truth be told - it's more often than not a case of "me! me! me! look at me!". Such a shame that this, an event that is a moment of national pride, was the occasion that Jamie Barton decided to make her claim to fame. Her talents are enviable. She should stick to becoming famous on that basis. Jx

      PS Jerusalem is another heart-stopping anthem, I agree.
      PPS Not many people, least of all Ms Luft, can match Judy Garland's talent.

      Delete
  2. Maybe she should have waved two flags?
    Jerusalem is my favourite anthem - the only one that brings a tear to my eye.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - both flags would have made more sense.

      I will not cease from mental fight,
      Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand


      Indeed. Jx

      Delete
    2. I agree with the two flags thing, too, then everyone gets what they want. Well, almost everyone - someone's bound to find a fault somewhere.

      Delete
    3. There are people out there who would object to the very existence of a fat bisexual America singer at the Proms, let alone what flag she waved. I've read some of the "below the line" comments sections in the press, and there are some seriously paranoid individuals around. Jx

      Delete
  3. She was fab ! I do get your point though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no criticism at all about her performance - a lovely voice, and perfect diction! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]