Thursday 14 April 2022

Superior

A young couple are striving to shed their working-class roots and bring a brand new, middle-class awfulness into their lives.

Nikki Hollis and her partner Thom believe they are at a stage when they are ready and can afford to feel insufferably superior to people they now consider to be more common than they are.

Hollis said: “We’ve worked hard to cultivate a lovely home for middle-class toxicity to thrive. We’ve got a Smeg fridge and a labradoodle, and my Insta stories are stuffed with humblebrags about how happy I’d be if only we could afford an Aga but we’ve given the money to Ukraine instead.

“We’ve also worked hard on ourselves. I now only use profanity for emphasis, not punctuation, and we’ve added a superfluous ‘h’ to Thom’s name so he sounds like he runs a small architecture studio in a converted woollen mill rather than working in a call centre.

“It’s not always easy, and I do sometimes lie awake in my organic cotton bed sheets and wonder if deliberately turning ourselves into wankers is a terrible mistake.

“But it does seem to be going well. Thom thinks our friends and family already consider us to be massive twats who were nicer as we were. One can only hope.”

The Daily Mash

Of course.


And finally [geddit?!]...

...as it's the last day in the office before the long Easter weekend - here's another faboo mash-up, courtesy of the genius that is Bill McClintock:

Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. That Mash Up literally rocks! How amazing. What a great ear McClintock possesses! Very impressive. And the Daily Marsh bit... a scream. I was recently dumped by a couple (straight) whom I'd known for 30 year - they even named their eldest son after me... and was told we have nothing in common and that they no longer wished to associate with me! Wankers, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have some awful ex-friends lurking about in our history, dear - better off without them, I say!

      And, yes, I love a good mash-up; Mr McClintock is among the very best in that genre.

      Jx

      Delete
    2. You're absolutely right, my dear. They were terrible bores. The wife and I had done theatre together for years - she was one of my go-to actresses, but dinner parties at their McMansion were intolerable. So...ultimately, I am relieved. A bit hurt... but relieved.

      Delete
  2. Well so long as they don't actually keep Smeg in their fridge....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What horrible behaviour from that couple, uptonking

    Is your name meant to be "Up Tonking" or "Upton King?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upton King, dear. Not sure what 'tonking' would be, but I'd like to think of it as being something a bit 'dirty.' :)

      Delete
    2. Well it's disgraceful how that couple treated you and you are better off without them.

      They'll have to rename their child now.

      Delete
  4. I hope Nikki and THom invested in a Royal Doulton with Periwinkles tea set?

    That mash-up is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hand-painted periwinkles", I'll have you know, Elizabeth! Jx

      Delete
    2. "Oh, dear. You'd better just give me a beaker."

      Delete
    3. "If my Sheridan were here, he'd be appalled."

      Jx

      Delete
  5. That was hilarious!

    It made me think Beatrice's owners in the Christopher Guest movie "Best In Show". The Philidelphia couple that is living the mail order catalog life of L.L. Bean. Honestly, that couple could have been from Seattle. There is what's famously known as the "Seattle Freeze" in the US. Insincere brushoffs of anyone who approaches them that clearly cannot offer them access to the finer things in life. Yuppie snobs. "We met at Starbucks" scene from the movie https://youtu.be/lQKdEdzHnfU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best in Show has been on my list forever for one of our gang's "Film Club" gatherings, but so far I've never seen it... Jx

      Delete
    2. Time to stop waiting, darling! You'll just have to watch it for yourselves. I adore the gay couple in it. They remind me of some friends I knew long ago. We just lost contact over time, no particular reason why, but I hope wherever they are, they are doing well.

      Delete
  6. I have a Smeg fridge freezer - I had aspirations 20 years ago [it is that old], but then got a Parson Russell and I've long since given up trying not to swear. Nobody swears as well as I do - I still draw gasps.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see you and Gordon Ramsay in a "swear-off"... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]