Wednesday 20 April 2022

What d'ya think about that?

Timeslip moment again...

...and we're hurtling back in time three decades once more - to 1992: HM The Queen's annus horribilis, after the official separation of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, the separation of the Duke and Duchess of York, the Princess Royal divorcing Capt Mark Phillips (and subsequently marrying Tim Lawrence) and the devastating fire at her favourite residence Windsor Castle; it was also the year of the Maastricht Treaty, Ab Fab, Nigel Mansell, President Bill Clinton, Ebeneezer Goode, Stella Rimington, the continued bloody break-up of Yugoslavia and the war in Bosnia, Slobodan Milošević, Madonna's Erotica, "Black Wednesday", Eldorado, Alan Shearer, "You Know When You've Been Tango'd", Andrew Morton, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, The Big Breakfast , John Smith, Rachel Nickell, Damien Hirst's "shark", Sister Act, Nagorno-Karabakh, Jeffrey Dahmer, Wayne's World, David Mellor, BCCI, For The Boys, Steffi Graf, Yitzhak Rabin, polytechnics transformed into new universities, The Camomile Lawn, the Barcelona Olympics, Pope John Paul II, Boris Yeltsin and Strictly Ballroom; the year that Miley Cyrus, EuroDisney, the Republic of Mauritius, the AIDS Memorial Quilt, the Ford Mondeo, Sam Smith, the Commodore Amiga 1200 computer, Classic FM, Nick Jonas, Slovakia, Windows 3.1, Cara Delevingne, The Oldie magazine, Selena Gomez and Wagamama were all born; and the year Marlene Dietrich, Nancy Walker, Anthony Perkins, Sandy Dennis, Peter Allen, Robert Morley, José Ferrer, Ástor Piazzolla, Lawrence Welk, Menachem Begin, Denholm Elliott, Isaac Asimov, Thames Television, TVS, TSW and TV-am died.

In the news headlines in April '92? The UK elected Margaret Thatcher's successor John Major as Prime Minister in the biggest landslide vote in history, there was civil war in Afghanistan, the declaration of independence of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Serbian siege of Sarajevo, an IRA bomb destroyed the Baltic Exchange in the City of London, the massive Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS Awareness (featuring Queen and an array of heavy rock bands, as well as Dame Elton John, Dame Elizabeth Taylor, David Bowie, George Michael, Seal, Paul Young, Annie Lennox, Lisa Stansfield and Liza Minnelli) took place at Wembley Stadium, Betty Boothroyd became the first female Speaker of the House of Commons, the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall first opened to the public, and the acquittal of four police officers in the Rodney King beating criminal trial triggered massive rioting in Los Angeles; we also waved a sad goodbye to "national treasures" Frankie Howerd and Benny Hill on consecutive days. In our cinemas: My Own Private Idaho; Hook; The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. On telly: Jeeves and Wooster; Take Your Pick! with Des O'Connor; the debut of Heartbeat.

And what of our charts this week thirty years ago? All present and correct in the Top Ten were the fabulous Shakespear's Sister, Iron Maiden, Vanessa Williams, Curtis Stigers, Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, Marc Almond's Days of Pearly Spencer, SL2 On a Ragga Tip, one-hit-wonders Ten Sharp with You, and some dirge by an act called "Mr Big" [I'll be the judge of that! - Ed.].

However, finally - after their magnum opus I'm Too Sexy was thwarted by the seventeen-week-chart-topping behemoth that was Bryan Adams' (Everything I Do) I Do It for You in '91, and their second hit Don't Talk Just Kiss was beaten by the Xmas re-release of Bohemian Rhapsody following Freddie's death - it was the turn of the very lovely Right Said Fred to take the top slot - with this one!

Love it - but not as much as this (unsurprisingly)...

I'm too sexy for my love
Too sexy for my love
Love's going to leave me

I'm too sexy for my shirt
Too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts

And I'm too sexy for Milan
Too sexy for Milan,
New York and Japan

And I'm too sexy for your party
Too sexy for your party
No way I'm disco dancing

I'm a model, you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah, on the catwalk, on the catwalk, yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk

I'm too sexy for my car
Too sexy for my car
Too sexy by far

And I'm too sexy for my hat
Too sexy for my hat
What d'ya think about that?

I'm a model, you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah, on the catwalk, on the catwalk, yeah
I shake my little tush on the catwalk

I'm too sexy for my
Too sexy for my
Too sexy for my

'Cause I'm a model, you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah, on the catwalk, yeah, on the catwalk, yeah
I shake my little tush on the catwalk

I'm too sexy for my cat
Too sexy for my cat
Poor pussy
Poor pussy cat

I'm too sexy for my love
Too sexy for my love
Love's going to leave me

And I'm too sexy for this song!

Yay!

But... THIRTY YEARS?! Lordy, We're old...

8 comments:

  1. Right Said Fred... still so sexy it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hurts alrighty... lawd almighty! Kizzes, dear. Would have much preferred to hear Shakespeare's Sister - if only to remember how tragically inclined I was at the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone had to have a "long black coat" phase when they were young. Mine was when Joy Division and Siouxsie and the Banshees were at their peak. Jx

      Delete
  3. I know bad things happened in 1992 - but it seems so much more fun! And Right Said Fred were the epitome of fun!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, sweetpea! Great things, fun things, and also some of the worse days of my life. 30 years, Sweet Mary Sunshine! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had come out of some bad times, and was enjoying some good ones back in 1992 - but it's all such a long, long time ago now...

      Sweet Mary Sunshine, indeed! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]