Sunday 10 April 2022

Comes a rainstorm, put your rubbers on your feet

I rounded off a fabulous week-and-a-bit off [The Madam and I enjoyed a party with "the gang", a great visit to Essex with the Boys, and a trip with John-John yesterday to the impressive Gardening Club in Crews Hill] pottering in the extensive gardens here at Dolores Delargo Towers - I planted-up a few wall-pots; with a pair of fuchsias from our recent haul - as well as some of the annuals we purchased yesterday - and generally pruned-back and re-potted a load of our existing plant collection to greet the Spring. And, at last, it was beautiful sunny weather all day, so that made it all the more enjoyable.

Friday would have marked the 102nd anniversary of the birth of the fantabulosa Carmen McRae...


[click any pic to embiggen]

...and who better than the great lady herself to provide some appropriate "Sunday Music"?

Sublime.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely picture! I'm glad you had fun with the boys and et al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is a particularly lovely time in our garden - and if you enlarge the photo, you'll see the large glass of gin & tonic I was supping on the bench by way of a celebration (after all the hard work I had put in yesterday to get it looking neat and trim)... Jx

      Delete
  2. A very striking woman, Carmen. I haven't always been on board with her vocalizing, as some of her phrasing feels forced and overworked. But a powerful voice, certainly. And a powerful presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazz vocalese styling can often be a bit difficult to deal with - even the saintly Ella could be annoying, with all that improvisation. Miss McRae was a great singer, but I wouldn't necessarily want to sit through a whole concert. Jx

      Delete
  3. Oh that garden! And Carmen McRae. Keep in mind when you're out that rubbers are only 98 percent effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Condoms aren’t completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus.”

      Jx

      Delete
  4. Spluttering laughter here...and I've yet to have my coffee.Thaank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better to wake up laughing than crying, I say! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]