Saturday 23 April 2022

You read me Shakespeare on the rolling Thames

Better late than never...

Happy St George's Day to all my English chums!

Oh, England, my lionheart
I'm in your garden fading fast in your arms
The soldiers soften, the war is over
The air raid shelters are blooming clover
Flapping umbrellas fill the lanes
My London Bridge in rain again

Oh, England, my lionheart
Peter Pan steals the kids in Kensington Park
You read me Shakespeare on the rolling Thames
That old river poet that never, ever ends
Our thumping hearts hold the ravens in
Keep the Tower from tumbling

Oh, England, my lionheart
Oh, England, my lionheart
Oh, England, my lionheart
I don't want to go

Oh, England, my lionheart
Dropped from my black spitfire to my funeral barge
Give me one kiss in apple blossom
Give me one wish and I'd be wassailing
In the orchard my English rose
Or with my shepherd who'll bring me home

Oh, England, my lionheart
Oh, England, my lionheart
Oh, England, my lionheart
Oh, England, my lionheart
Oh, England, my lionheart
I don't want to go

St George's Day on Wikipedia

8 comments:

  1. Even after reading the Wikipedia page you generous provided this still means nothing to me. He was a Saint and it is a Christian holiday. That's about all I can conclude. It says nothing about good wine or common food to be provided. I suppose ham goes with any holiday for those that eat? At any rate, I hope you have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly a "Christian holiday" - more an excuse for the English to go crazy, wave the red-cross-flag, get pissed and complain about "foreigners" (despite the fact that George was probably a Roman legionary of Greek heritage from Cappadocia (in modern Turkey), and is also Patron Saint of Ethiopia, Georgia, Malta, Portugal, Aragon, Catalonia, Sicily and Sardinia; and - ahem - Moscow)...

      Means nothing to me, sweetie. I'm Welsh. Ours is celebrated by daffodils, leeks and singing.

      Jx

      PS I never mentioned wine or ham anywhere in this post...

      Delete
    2. True you didn't mention wine or ham. I was wondering out loud, I suppose. Americans don't eat a lot of ham except during holidays, particularly Easter. Wine, well, like most countries we don't need much of an excuse to have alcohol.

      like the Welsh celebration better from the sound of it. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the caricature of the maiden crying "Save me!" as George gallops up and ...the dragon renders him ashes and takes the maiden. She says "thank you"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Welsh like their Dragons though, don't they?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]