Wednesday 29 March 2023

There's a wonderful world we can share

And so, farewell, then Christopher Gunning.

Who? I hear you ask...

Mr Gunning, composer by profession, was tutored by Richard Rodney Bennett and began his career as a muical assistant to Dudley Moore, before progressing to the world of TV and film soundtracks (including Cold Lazarus by Dennis Potter and Piaf biopic La Vie en Rose), as well as music for advertising campaigns - winning several Ivor Novello awards and BAFTAs in the process.

Perhaps he might be best known for the following - for the first of which he was the arranger, and for the latter two he was the composer...

"Anytime, any place, anywhere, there's a wonderful world we can share..."

RIP, a most influential man.

Christopher Gunning offical website

10 comments:

  1. Ah well, nothing rings a bell. (And I need to see La Vie en Rose.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Martini, and Campari, were the height of sophistication when I was a kid. Fab to see those adverts again!
    Sx
    Sad news about Paul O'Grady today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad to hear about Paul O'Grady. I was thinking about him just yesterday when I read somewhere that whenever he entered a party dressed as himself, people were disappointed, wishing that he'd arrived as Lily Savage. I found that difficult to read that because he seemed like such a wonderful person as HIMSELF as well as when he portrayed Lily.

      Delete
    2. Vermouth was THE "stylish" drink in the 1970s. I think it's vile, but hey ho.

      Yes, very sad news about Paul O'Grady. I see, Ms Scarlet, you have already found my mini-tribute over at the Museum of Camp; I didn't have time this morning to do more, but I think I might do another later.

      Lily and Paul were like two sides of the coin - the potty-mouthed slapper versus the witty and genial presenter - and we loved them both! Jx

      Delete
    3. Good point about two sides of the coin.

      Delete
  3. Lyndsey de Paul! Hasn't crossed my mind in ages. All This And WWII soundtrack. Such an odd vocalist. Simply very different. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynsey de Paul was very underrated. She only had a few chart hits, yet made a huge impression on the British public.

      That's more than can be said for All This and World War II, which was universally slated and a total flop. Jx

      Delete
  4. I'm with Ms Scarlet. When I was a slip of a thing I thought Martini, and Campari, were the height of sophistication too even though they were both horrible.
    I adored Lynsey de Paul and the theme for Poirot was inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow "Lynsey de Paul" and "Campari" seem indelibly associated. It's a long-forgotten era. I suppose. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]