Wednesday 23 August 2023

But then you! You! You!

Happy 85th birthday today to Mr Roger Greenaway!

Who, I hear you ask?

Well, with songwriting partner Roger Cook he was not only part of the short-lived 1960s singing duo "David and Jonathan", but he was responsible for a huge number of MOR "classics" - such as these:

[Could that be any more "early 70s" if it tried?]

...and, best of all, he co-wrote this!

Many happy returns to a greatly overlooked talent, Roger John Reginald Greenaway OBE (born 23rd August 1938)

6 comments:

  1. Love Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adored their duet version - although Mr Pitney's original was brilliant, too. [As was his A Town Without Pity.] Jx

      Delete
  2. I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing - a firm favourite! and I haven't heard it for ages. The New Seekers were the forerunners of Abba!!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh ! I had forgotten, 'Softly Whispering I Love You' and frankly wish it had remained that way.
    I am not fond of the other stuff either.
    Thank heavens for Marc Almond and Gene Pitney. I adore that.
    PS
    the video is unavailable - Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner but you can watch on YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I said "MOR", I really meant it! [Although I always had a soft spot for The Drifters - and Mr Greenaway wrote so many of their hits, including Like Sister and Brother, There Goes My First Love and You're More than a Number in My Little Red Book].

      I agree however, Marc and Gene in combination produced an enduring classic. [And I think I've fixed that link.] Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]