Wednesday 30 August 2023

Guilty pleasures of the Soul

You know you're getting old when...

...you realise that "Hutch" was 80 years old on Monday!

In the interest of recycling, here's a tribute I did for him on the occasion of his 70th.

Confession time. I have to admit that despite his perceived "naffness", I have always loved David Soul - for his classic 1970s music as much as his groinage.

Guilty pleasures, I suppose, but these two alone are great songs:

Facts about Mr Soul:
  • He was the UK's best selling artist in 1977, and Starsky and Hutch was one of the most popular police drama series of the decade.
  • David has been married five times and has five sons and a daughter.
  • He starred (in French) with Anne Giraudau and Line Renaud in the television miniseries Les Filles du Lido in 1995.
  • As well as playing the original lead in Jerry Springer The Opera, he also starred in the West End revival of Mack and Mabel.
  • In September 2004, David became a UK citizen.

Many happy returns, David Soul (born David Richard Solberg, 28th August 1943)

9 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is with dear little davey, he has all the parts I require for a crush, but somehow they don't add up to one for me. Also, I had no idea he had such a success in musical theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I had no idea he'd been married five times.

      Delete
    2. And I had no idea he used to live in a manor house in South Devon near Dartmouth... Jx

      Delete
  2. He was south of me?!!! Wow!! Where is he now? I loved Starsky and Hutch.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's back in London - Kilburn/Swiss Cottage or thereabouts, apparently... Jx

      Delete
  3. Rappelez-vous bien de son renflement a l'entrejambe et le Glaser callipygien dans Starsky et Hutch.
    David Soul, tellement talentueux et un homme de conviction avec une ame profonde. J'ai vu sa page de blog, sa vie très intéressante, son père Dr Solberg et son frère Daniel. J'espere David a fini à restaurer la Chrysler d'Hemingway à Cuba.
    * d'Anjou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always struck me as being a genuine bloke - but reading the story of him and Hemingway's Chrysler just confirmed it! Jx

      PS "callipygian" is my new favourite word!

      Delete
  4. OMFG. Flick Colby does Ballet ! ! !
    once seen it can never be unseen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much "ballet" as "wafting around aimlessly in a load of leftover net curtains". Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]