Saturday 26 August 2023

Sharing unexpected love

A chance discovery from scanning the "death notices" on Wikipedia, as is my wont, throws up a rather obscure name - but one who was integral to a genre of music that I (and myriad queens worldwide) went nuts over in the mid-80s, Hi-NRG!

Mr Denis LePage (for it is he) emerged from the unlikely music scene of Quebec in Canada to become not only a key member of disco favourites Kat Mandu (whose The Break, written by Mr LePage, was a worldwide club hit in the late 70s), but later with his wife formed the electronic duo Lime, responsible for many key dance choons in that heady, hedonistic era. Denis was also a gifted multi-instrumentalist and producer with hundreds of credits ranging from Carol Jani to France Joli.

This brought me to recall a post featuring Lime that I did on this very blog (gulp!) fifteen years ago.

For your delectation, dear reader, here it is again. Somebody pass the poppers!

Madam Arcati has just found this faboo little gem of a megamix featuring our Great Earth Mother Divine:

Of course, revisiting this kind of music always sets me off on a Hi-NRG kick - and so here are few other gems from the heady gay music era of the 1980s. First up the brilliant Lime, with a video evidently filmed in November somewhere in Norfolk:

Next, a pair of "uber-butch" queens, Patrick Cowley...

...and and Paul Parker:

And finally, winning the award for possibly the worst mime by "badly made-up drag" ever, here's the superb Flirts!

Whew...


FOOTNOTE: Interestingly Mr LePage transitioned to "Nini Nobless" in the final years of their life.

6 comments:

  1. A Divine trip down memory lane.
    Apart from the obvious 'The Flirts' are my fave (I still dance like that by the way).

    PS if the 'Lime' video was filmed in Norfolk they must have died the Sea blue.

    RIP Mr Denis LePage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen you dance like The Flirts. The wig was a bit heavy as I recall... 🤣 Jx

      Delete
  2. I don't remember any of these! Where was I? Oh, the 80's. Probably passed out in a nightclub toilet somewhere.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Of course, if it was one of those clubs that survived on playing The Nolans, Funkytown, Kelly Marie and Kool and the Gang, then I think I'd be passing out in the bogs, too!

      These choons were far more "underground", I guess - if the club didn't smell of Kouros, menthol cigarettes and amyl nitrite, they probably wouldn't have been played... Jx

      Delete
  3. Yes, he wasn't fooling anyone donning those sunglasses in the Lime video.

    (Possibly Morston? Or maybe Blakeney?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wherever it is, they look freezing - and those blousons don't seem to be insulated. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]