Thursday 10 August 2023

Always posing, but you love it all


Yes. I used to look like this. Time's a terrible thing.

As it's my 60th birthday today, I thought I'd indulge myself with some of my favourite music...

How about six decades' worth?

1960s:

1970s:

1980s:

1990s:

2000s:

2010s:

Then there are the songs that transcend decades. The likes of Soft Cell - Tainted Love [and just about anything Marc Almond has ever done], David Bowie - Queen Bitch [and just about anything Bowie ever did (check out the "Queen Bitch" link for my week-long tribute to the man on the news of his death)], Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill [and an endless list of beloved works by her], Grace Jones - Private Life [and, again, just about anything else in her repertoire], Raffaella Carra - Do It, Do It Again, White Town - Your Woman, Visage - Fade to Grey, Patti Smith - Because The Night, Liza Minnelli - Mein Herr, Erasure - A Little Respect, Shakespear's Sister - Stay, Tom Robinson - War Baby, Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round...

...and gazillions of others from the likes of Doris Day, Eartha Kitt, Bette Midler, Dalida, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Divine, Style Council, Gary Numan/Tubeway Army, All Seeing I, Petula Clark, Ofra Haza, Dinah Washington, Laura Branigan, Ian Dury, Lisa Stansfield, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Nina Simone, Three Degrees, KLF, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Cilla Black, Associates, Caro Emerald, Régine, Postmodern Jukebox, Talking Heads, Elaine Stritch, Simple Minds, Celia Cruz, Beautiful South, S-Club 7, Carol Channing, Sam Brown, Jimmy Somerville, Vikki Carr, Donna Summer, Blossom Dearie, ABC, Mika, Etta James, Duran Duran, Lou Reed, Scissor Sisters, Cher, Pearl Bailey, Fangoria, Hot Chocolate, Rocio Jurado, Queen, Klaus Nomi, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Mitzi Gaynor, B-52s, Loleatta Holloway, Adam and the Ants, Gina G, Gina X, Eurythmics/Annie Lennox, Roisin Murphy, Chaka Khan, Conchita Wurst, Edith Piaf, Human League, Rose Royce, Dolly Parton, Depeche Mode, Faithless, Monica Naranjo, Ethel Merman, Alison Jiear, Ysa Ferrer, Divine Comedy, Peggy Lee, Steps, Ella Fitzgerald, Mamas and The Papas, George Michael/Wham, Baccara, Yma Sumac, New Order, Puppini Sisters, Take That, Ultra Nate, Bananarama, Isabel Pantoja, Heaven 17, Diana Ross, Kirsty McColl, Roxy Music, Tina Turner, Flying Lizards, The Cure, Marianne Faithfull and so on. And on. And on...
[All searchable on this very blog]

Then there are the musicals - including Sweet Charity, Chicago, La Cage Aux Folles, Gypsy, Cabaret, Little Shop of Horrors and everything by Stephen Sondheim [that link takes you to the week-long series of tributes I did when he departed for Fabulon] - and the classical and operatic stuff [too numerous to mention].

However, dear reader, I still have one more beloved song by one more - the ultimate - diva to play. It's rather appropriate, you see:


In my heyday
Young men wrote to me
Everybody seemed to have time to devote to me
Everyone I saw all swore they knew me
Once upon a song

Main attraction, couldn't buy a seat
The celebrity celebrities were dying to meet
I've had every accolade bestowed on me
And so you see

If I never sing another song
It wouldn't bother me
I had my share of fame
You know my name

If I never sing another song
Or take another bow
I would get by, but I'm not sure how

Always posing, but you love it all
Though you have to learn to act like you're above it all
Everything I did the world applauded
Once upon a star

Framed citations, hung on every wall
Got a scrapbook full of quotes, I can recall them all
There were times I felt the world belonged to me
And so you see

If I never sing another song
It wouldn't bother me
I had my share of fame
You know my name

If I never sing another song
Or take another bow
I would get by, but I'm not sure how
But I'm not sure how
But I'm not sure how

30 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! Have a wonderful day, sweetie!
    Not only do we share some favourite tunes, but we were also sleeping under the same bedspread when we were teens!!! Well, the same patterned bedspread in any case. I'm a bit bedside myself seeing that again, whilst listening to 7 seconds, which I love!!
    Have a brilliant day!
    SXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms Scarlet!

      Obviously both our mothers shopped from the Littlewoods catalogue...

      Glad to know we share similar musical tastes. Well, perhaps not so much on a Tacky Music Monday 😁. Jx

      Delete
  2. Happy, happy birthday. It's an excellent assortment of musicians, most especially Dusty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peenee. Dusty's sublime - pleased you enjoyed the selection! Jx

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Jon!!!!! In another 9 years I'll be there with you!!!! I just hope I can give you the 60 whacks of the tush!!!! Cheers Gin Blossom!!!!

    As as we head toward old age we know of course old age ain't no place for sissies! Must be the gin we drink, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Mads! Clink, clink, sweetie! Jx

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday sweetie!!
    Did I take that photo? Isn't it strange how the whole of the 70's were brown/orange. And they call the 80's the decade that fashion forgot!
    Hope you get to do something fun today, though I'm sure you'll make up for it in Amsterdam if not. We'll celebrate together at the birthday picnic, but until then sending you a big cwtch. Cheers darling xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burnt orange was the colour of that decade! No idea about the photo, nor even exactly when it was taken...

      Not planning anything today; just lounging around thinking "I should really water the garden" or "do the washing up" 🤣.

      A big cwtch back! And yes, I am looking forward to Amsterdam next week, and the picnic the week after - see you then if not before. Jx

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday darling!
    I think I enjoyed 60, but I've forgotten!
    But I'll never forget Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norma! In the words of the Great Dame herself: "You don't get older, you get better." Jx

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful boy you were... you would have looked at me like I was a fart. Congrats on #60! Habby Pirthday. You know it's all uphill from here? The fun is just about to start... so stay tuned, tune up, and keep your bustle above the hedgerow. Wonderful music choices. Not surprised, you've always demonstrated exquisite taste. Many Kizzes and Well Swishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Youth is wasted on the young." If only I knew then what I know now...

      I'm keeping my bustle above the hedgerow as we speak, sweetie! Jx

      Delete
  7. And still adorable! Wishing you a very happiest 60th birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless - thank you, Mitch! The "birthday octave" has hardly begun...

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Den! I guessed you'd love a good smattering of divas. Jx

      Delete
  9. Oh, happy birthday, Jon!! I hope you're having a smashing day, and I'll be back to listen to the music when time permits (soon, hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forever the "social whirl" with you, these days, isn't it?

      We'll be in Amsterdam next Thursday, have no fear about that! Jx

      Delete
    2. It's all go! But not today - I seem to be free from distractions for a bit, so I'm making my way through your music. Currently on "You Spin Me Round" - fabulous!

      I'm looking forward to seeing the Amsterdam post already!

      Delete
    3. Let me know when you get to the Klaus Nomi level... Jx

      Delete
  10. Happiest of birthdays Jon! And what a great llist of songs and artists that bring back so many memories. We love you baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the playlist of my life is long and varied... Good to know you're enjoying the trip! Jx

      Delete
  11. Late to the party again! (How does that happen when I'm 12 hours ahead of you? Not to mention almost 20 years!) Oh bother the IDL ! Here's to many more for us both! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll raise a glass of port and lemon to that! Jx

      Delete
  12. Happy birthday dear (What a looker you were)
    Just like our dear late Queen of blessed memory, you have two birthdays. Your actual birthday and the official Birthday. I hope you enjoy Amsterdam and the festivities planned.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten through, "Hey, lady, aren't you whoozis?
      Wow, what a looker you were"
      Or better yet, "Sorry, I thought you were whoozis
      Whatever happened to her?"

      Good times, bum times, I've seen 'em all
      And, my dear, I'm still here
      Plush velvet sometimes
      Sometimes just pretzels and beer, but I'm here!


      Roll on Amsterdam! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]