Tuesday 15 August 2023

Hell, you set me on fire


Cheese, indeed.

As we continue our countdown to our much-needed break in "Mama Mokum", Amsterdam, it would not be complete without a showing from at least one of that country's innumerable 1970s/80s girl-bands [cf. Luv, Dolly Dots, Babe, Risqué, Maywood - most of whom I have featured regularly on this very blog]!

Enjoy..!

Facts:

  • "Doris D" was in fact born Debbie Jenner in Skegness, UK.
  • She's most noteworthy for the fact that she was the vocalist on Lipps Inc's Funkytown [to which, of course, this song bears no resemblance...]!
  • She worked with the aforementioned Babe, and choreographed the aforementioned Dolly Dots.
  • After "The Pins" split up, she released a moderately successful aerobics LP, and went on to be a notable fitness instructor.

We love the endless tackiness the Dutch can muster - roll on Thursday!

5 comments:

  1. Won't you take me to Funkytown? Nice try, Doris D. You can see the makings of her fitness instructor career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as opposed to the makings of her "international superstardom career". Jx

      Delete
  2. I think I will stick with the Gouda. She is like a lost 'Nolan' on acid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm with you,Madam! As you and Jon know, I adore Amsterdam (and a few other bits of Holland), but the music scene is not "me." A Dutch friend played with a jazz group, but so long ago they've probably " popped their clogs."

      Delete
    2. Madam: "A lost Nolan on acid" - ha! Perfect description.

      Dinah: I like some jazz ("Trad" mainly), but nothing beats the cheesiness of Dutch pop and levenslied ("oom-pah") to bring a smile to our faces!

      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]